Nurul Huda ahead of former CEC in terms of following Awami League: Rizvi
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-11 00:06:02.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-11 00:06:02.0 BdST
In terms of following "Awami ideologies," newly appointed Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda is far ahead of the former CEC Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmed, says BNP.
The party's Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi made the statement and reiterated his doubts on the ‘neutrality’ of the Election Commission.
He told a media brief on Friday: "His (Nurul Huda) statements, attitudes and actions, everything reflects his dedication to the Awami League."
Nurul Huda, who retired in 2006 as a joint secretary, was sent on forced retirement with some other officials after the BNP-Jamaat coalition came to power in 2001.
The Supreme Court declared the order illegal when challenged.
Nurul Huda became secretary with retrospective effect and received financial benefits for the post.
The BNP claimed that as the deputy commissioner of Comilla, Huda acted as an organiser for the 'Janatar Mancha,' a Dhaka-based movement of the Awami League in 1996 in which a large number of government officials showed non-cooperation with the then BNP government.
CEC Nurul Huda has, however, defined the claim terming such accusation is nothing but a political strategy of the BNP.
Rizvi expressed his mistrust on Nurul Huda during the press conference at BNP's Naya Paltan office.
"People of the country cannot rely on him (Nurul Huda) for credible national elections. It is likely to be another 'voter-less' 'one-sided' election."
Referring to the statements of Nurul Huda, which came after the new election commissioners were announced, Rizvi termed Nurul as "a committed Awami Leager."
"Yesterday, I saw on Facebook that he is eating sweets to celebrate the victory of some UP chairman in his zone. The former CECs maintained their distinct personality and independent entity. They did not participate in such events," said the BNP leader.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings