New EC should be accepted by all: Prof Emajuddin
Brahmanbarhia Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-11 03:33:31.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-11 03:35:32.0 BdST
Pro-BNP professionals' leader Professor Emajuddin Ahamed has said everyone should accept the new Election Commission appointed by the president.
But the BNP leaders are harshly criticising President Md Abdul Hamid's choices for the new EC, especially Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda.
Pro-BNP professional' organisation Citizens' Committee Convenor Prof Emajuddin gave his take to the media after a programme in Brahmanbarhia on Friday.
"It's a different matter what the BNP or other parties are speaking about the new EC. It should be accepted as the honourable president has announced it. There is no reason for difference of opinion on the mater," he said.
The BNP has been sceptical about the new CEC's impartiality as it sent the former bureaucrat to forced retirement when it came to power in 2001.
Nurul Huda retired as a secretary with retroactive effect when the Awami League returned to power.
BNP leaders are also saying Huda was an organiser of Janatar Mancha, , a platform formed to compel the then BNP government to quit office after the controversial election of February 1996.
Huda refutes the claim, saying it is 'only a political strategy' of the BNP.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings