Reckless BNP may cause accident in politics, says Obaidul Quader
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-10 14:51:46.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-10 20:56:00.0 BdST
The BNP has become "reckless" because of its failures and frustrations, Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader has said.
"I'm afraid the party has been acting like reckless drivers. It may cause an accident in politics anytime," he said at a programme on Friday.
His remarks came in response to the BNP's comments on the new Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda.
BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi told a press briefing on Wednesday that the new CEC was "a spokesman of the Awami League."
Condemning the statement, Obaidul, the road transport and bridges minister, said: "BNP leaders most of the time don't know what they're talking about.
"Let me ask you (journalists). Do you also think the CEC is a spokesperson for the ruling party?"
The AL leader attended the inaugural ceremony of 'Jubojagoron Library and Research Centre' organised by Dhaka South Juba League (youth wing of Awami League) on Friday.
He called upon those making their entry into politics to acquire the habit of reading books.
"An activist in politics needs to study and become competent. Otherwise he'll end up serving the leaders."
In a same call to leaders, he said: "We have many great leaders but it is sad that they do not write books on their life and work."
The minister said no political party would be allowed to hold rallies in the capital on working days.
politics for people. In order to keep them free of hassles, we will hold indoor
seminars on the upcoming three national days in March instead of rallies or
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings