New CEC is like an 'Awami League spokesperson', BNP says
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-10 01:52:53.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-10 01:52:53.0 BdST
New Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda's speech is like that of an 'Awami League spokesperson’, a BNP leader has said.
BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi was unsparing as well in his criticism of outgoing CEC Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad, terming him 'an Awami CEC'.
"The new CEC has said the polls to the national parliament should be held with an elected government in power. It's natural that the new CEC, who was an organiser of the Janatar Mancha, has spoken and will speak like an Awami League spokesperson," Rizvi said.
Addressing a press conference at the BNP headquarters on Thursday, Rizvi wondered if fair polls were possible under a CEC as Huda. "Even the people have doubts," he said.
About Rakibuddin, the BNP leader said, "The former CEC has proved through his work that he is a very loyal and competent Awami CEC, not the chief of the constitutional body. He said those who took part in the Jan 5, 2014 elections believe in democracy."
New CEC Huda has already reacted to the BNP’s criticism of him, saying it was 'only a political strategy' of the party.
He has also denied involvement with the Janatar Mancha, a platform formed to compel the then BNP 'government' to quit office after the controversial election of February 1996.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings