Hasina to lead Awami League delegation at Bangabhaban for EC talks
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-10 13:20:51.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-10 13:20:51.0 BdST
The 19-member Awami League delegation to discuss the formation of a new Election Commission with President Md Abdul Hamid will be led by party chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
A Bangabhaban official told bdnews24.com that they received the list of the delegation members on Monday.
The ruling party is scheduled to hold the discussion with the president on Wednesday.
The Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad-led Election Commission's tenure ends in February.
The new Election Commission will handle the next national election slated for 2019.
Before forming a 'search panel' to appoint commissioners, President Hamid has started talks with political parties, just like his predecessor had done in 2012.
The talks began on Dec 18 with the BNP, which has no representation in the Parliament after boycotting the 2014 polls.
Altogether 23 political parties have been invited for the talks.
Bangabhaban officials hinted that the dialogue on a new EC will end with the meeting between the president and the Awami League delegation.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- US Ambassador Bernicat meets BNP chief Khaleda
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Bangladesh Ambassador in Thailand receives Atish Dipankar Peace Gold Award
- Power prices to follow hike in gas prices, says minister
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- India signs MoU for sustainable development of Sylhet city
- Bharti Airtel to buy Telenor's India unit as rival Jio spurs consolidation
- Sylhet's Khadiza finally returns home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- Three killed, 12 injured in Bangladesh picnic bus crash