Hasina to lead Awami League delegation at Bangabhaban for EC talks
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-10 13:20:51.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-10 13:20:51.0 BdST
The 19-member Awami League delegation to discuss the formation of a new Election Commission with President Md Abdul Hamid will be led by party chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
A Bangabhaban official told bdnews24.com that they received the list of the delegation members on Monday.
The ruling party is scheduled to hold the discussion with the president on Wednesday.
The Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad-led Election Commission's tenure ends in February.
The new Election Commission will handle the next national election slated for 2019.
Before forming a 'search panel' to appoint commissioners, President Hamid has started talks with political parties, just like his predecessor had done in 2012.
The talks began on Dec 18 with the BNP, which has no representation in the Parliament after boycotting the 2014 polls.
Altogether 23 political parties have been invited for the talks.
Bangabhaban officials hinted that the dialogue on a new EC will end with the meeting between the president and the Awami League delegation.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP chief Khaleda congratulates Trump over presidency
- BNP will support the anti-Rampal power plant protests on Jan 26
- Khaleda reiterates demand for an independent search committee
- BNP hopes for ‘better future’ with new Election Commission
- Obaidul Quader questions BNP’s ability to organise agitation
- Playful Hasina rolls back the days with Rehana in snow-covered Switzerland
- Leaders say BNP is in ‘political paralysis’, criticise failure to reignite activities
- EC talks: BNP urged president for ‘trustworthy’ search committee
- BNP sees strains on president-PM relations over 'difference on talks'
- President Hamid says he will consider all parties' proposals on forming next EC
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- Ispahani Group boss Mirza Ali Behrouze Ispahani passes away
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Authorities shut Mymensingh Medical College indefinitely
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice