BNP leader Khairul Kabir Khokon, wife Shirin injured in road traffic accident
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-10 01:50:34.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-10 01:56:55.0 BdST
BNP Joint Secretary General Khairul Kabir Khokon and his wife former Jatiyatabadi Mohila Dal president Shirin Sultana have been injured in a road traffic accident in Narsinghdi’s Madhabdi.
The couple were admitted to the United Hospital in the capital’s Gulshan after the accident on Monday, BNP Assistant Office Secretary Taiful Islam Tipu told bdnews24.com.
He said a truck hit the car carrying Khokon and Shirin near Madhabdi intersection on Dhaka-Sylhet Highway when they were returning to Dhaka from Narsinghdi in the evening.
“The car has suffered a huge damage. They were brought to the United Hospital by another car later,” Tipu said.
He said Khokon went to Narsinghdi after attending Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir’s press conference at the party’s Naya Paltan headquarters in the morning.
Mirza Fakhrul visited Khokon and Shirin later at night, said Shairul Kabir Khan, a member of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia’s press wing.
Quoting the doctors, Shairul said the couple were ‘out of danger’.
Besides Shairul, BNP leaders AZM Zahid Hossain, Abdul Kaiyum, Fazlul Haque Milon, Habibul Islam Habib, Farhad Hossain Donner, Shama Obaid, and Akramul Hasan were with Mirza Fakhrul.
BNP Standing Committee members Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain and Mirza Abbas enquired about their condition by phone, Shairul said.
Shirin had headed Mohila Dal for a long time. After the BNP decided to keep single post for every leader, she was made self-reliance affairs secretary of the party’s new committee last year.
She later stepped down, expressing eagerness to return to Mohila Dal leadership.
As she was not given any post in the new committee of Mohila Dal, she has been politically inactive for months.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda’s 11 cases: Hearings delayed again
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Tarique Rahman's mother-in-law secures bail in graft case
- Election 'won't be easy' without BNP, Mirza Fakhrul says
- Stage collapses in Mohila Dal event in Chittagong, BNP leaders blame overcrowding
- Awami League MP Shamim Osman says Hifazat was not involved in May 5 Motijheel mayhem
- BNP questions Indian Army chief’s frequent Dhaka visit; ISPR says no visit scheduled
- Two CU BCL leaders expelled after clash with police
- Underfire Quader implores journalists not to make crow-hen reference
- HM Ershad acquitted of corruption charges over procuring radars
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- SSC results date announced
- ‘Improvised bomb’ found at Sylhet school
- Reports of North Korea artillery drill as US submarine makes South Korea port call
- Security forces raid Rajshahi homes
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet