President Hamid calls for tolerance among political parties for fair elections
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-09 01:58:47.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 23:53:52.0 BdST
President Md Abdul Hamid has urged for tolerance of others' views among the political parties in order to have fair elections.
The president made the call during a meeting with the Ganaforum at the Bangabhaban on Sunday as part of the ongoing dialogue with political parties on forming the next Election Commission.
The president also sat with the Ganatantri Party and Khelafat Andolan later in the day.
The President's Press secretary Joynal Abedin told reporters after the meetings: "The president said there is no alternative to developing a culture of tolerance among the political parties for fair elections."
"Cooperation of the political parties is a must for fair elections," Abedin quoted the president as saying.
Hamid emphasised consensus of all political parties alongside a strong EC for fair elections during the meeting with Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) on Saturday.
The Ganaforum has placed a nine-point proposal on forming the next commission and the committee to shortlist the names of persons who can be appointed election commissioners.
The party's President Dr Kamal Hossain led a 14-member delegation at the Bangabhaban talks.
Their proposals include appointing an Appellate Division judge as the 'Search Committee' head. They also suggested keeping representatives of women, religious minorities and the media in the committee.
Abedin said the Ganaforum expressed hope that the president will take the right decision in the right time to constitute a strong EC.
Lawyer Kamal Hossain's party also emphasised making a law on the institution of the EC.
Its 14-member delegation, led by its President Arash Ali, emphasised forming the EC with people who believe in the spirit of Liberation War.
The Khelafat Andolan's chief Shah Ataullah Ibn Hafezzi led the party's 10-member delegation during the dialogue.
They also proposed making a law to appoint the election commissioners, Abedin said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP chief Khaleda congratulates Trump over presidency
- BNP will support the anti-Rampal power plant protests on Jan 26
- Khaleda reiterates demand for an independent search committee
- BNP hopes for ‘better future’ with new Election Commission
- Obaidul Quader questions BNP’s ability to organise agitation
- Playful Hasina rolls back the days with Rehana in snow-covered Switzerland
- Leaders say BNP is in ‘political paralysis’, criticise failure to reignite activities
- EC talks: BNP urged president for ‘trustworthy’ search committee
- BNP sees strains on president-PM relations over 'difference on talks'
- President Hamid says he will consider all parties' proposals on forming next EC
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- Ispahani Group boss Mirza Ali Behrouze Ispahani passes away
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Authorities shut Mymensingh Medical College indefinitely
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice