President Hamid calls for tolerance among political parties for fair elections
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-09 01:58:47.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 23:53:52.0 BdST
President Md Abdul Hamid has urged for tolerance of others' views among the political parties in order to have fair elections.
The president made the call during a meeting with the Ganaforum at the Bangabhaban on Sunday as part of the ongoing dialogue with political parties on forming the next Election Commission.
The president also sat with the Ganatantri Party and Khelafat Andolan later in the day.
The President's Press secretary Joynal Abedin told reporters after the meetings: "The president said there is no alternative to developing a culture of tolerance among the political parties for fair elections."
"Cooperation of the political parties is a must for fair elections," Abedin quoted the president as saying.
Hamid emphasised consensus of all political parties alongside a strong EC for fair elections during the meeting with Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) on Saturday.
The Ganaforum has placed a nine-point proposal on forming the next commission and the committee to shortlist the names of persons who can be appointed election commissioners.
The party's President Dr Kamal Hossain led a 14-member delegation at the Bangabhaban talks.
Their proposals include appointing an Appellate Division judge as the 'Search Committee' head. They also suggested keeping representatives of women, religious minorities and the media in the committee.
Abedin said the Ganaforum expressed hope that the president will take the right decision in the right time to constitute a strong EC.
Lawyer Kamal Hossain's party also emphasised making a law on the institution of the EC.
Its 14-member delegation, led by its President Arash Ali, emphasised forming the EC with people who believe in the spirit of Liberation War.
The Khelafat Andolan's chief Shah Ataullah Ibn Hafezzi led the party's 10-member delegation during the dialogue.
They also proposed making a law to appoint the election commissioners, Abedin said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- US Ambassador Bernicat meets BNP chief Khaleda
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Bangladesh Ambassador in Thailand receives Atish Dipankar Peace Gold Award
- Power prices to follow hike in gas prices, says minister
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- India signs MoU for sustainable development of Sylhet city
- Bharti Airtel to buy Telenor's India unit as rival Jio spurs consolidation
- Sylhet's Khadiza finally returns home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- Three killed, 12 injured in Bangladesh picnic bus crash