BNP claims being barred from holding rallies seven times in last three years
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-09 21:47:26.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-09 21:47:26.0 BdST
The Awami League-led government seems to be following a double standard in order to corner BNP, party's Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir has said.
At a media briefing on Monday, Fakhrul slammed the ruling party for denying them permission to hold a rally at capital’s Suhrawardy Udyan on Jan 7.
The party had planned to hold the rally to bash Jan 5, the day Awami League rose to power through a national election BNP had boycotted in 2014.
BNP, the major opposition outside Parliament, terms the day as “the death of democracy day” while Awami League celebrates it as “triumph of democracy day.”
“We were denied permission to hold rally on Jan 7. This is nothing new. Police have denied us permission to hold any kind of rally seven times so far since Jan 5, 2014,” Fakhrul said.
“You do not let us hold demonstrations … you drive our volunteers away from streets with sticks. But you bring out processions and hold rallies regularly,” he said.
The leader alleged that Awami League supporters created a chaos in front of the BNP headquarters at Naya Paltan on Jan 5 during the ruling party’s celebration of the third anniversary of the 10th National Polls.
The BNP leader criticised the government over “the deteriorating condition of law and order” in the country.
“A person has been tortured inside police station for bribe. This is not just one case. There are several others,” he said adding “Every one is in a state of fear as all hell can break loose on them anytime.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- US Ambassador Bernicat meets BNP chief Khaleda
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Bangladesh Ambassador in Thailand receives Atish Dipankar Peace Gold Award
- Power prices to follow hike in gas prices, says minister
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- India signs MoU for sustainable development of Sylhet city
- Bharti Airtel to buy Telenor's India unit as rival Jio spurs consolidation
- Sylhet's Khadiza finally returns home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- Three killed, 12 injured in Bangladesh picnic bus crash