President Hamid calls on political parties to reach agreement for a credible election
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-07 20:56:39.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 23:54:06.0 BdST
President Abdul Hamid has said that reaching a consensus among the political parties is as crucial as forming an effective Election Commission for holding elections in a free and fair manner.
“Building consensus among the political parties is as crucial as forming a robust Election Commission to ensure a credible election,” Hamid said while talking to JSD delegations on Saturday.
The Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) delegation was at the Bangabhaban as part of the ongoing dialogue with political parties prior to forming a new Election Commission. The 10-member delegation was led by JSD President ASM Abdur Rob.
Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh was also scheduled to meet with the president the same day but the talk has been rescheduled as the party’s chairperson AQM Badruddoza Chowdhury has fallen ill.
JSD made a three-point proposal to the president over forming the new Election Commission.
“JSD has suggested enacting a new law in order to skip the hassle of discussing with all political parties prior to forming an Election Commission every time,” he toldbdnews24.com.
“The president thanked JSD for the proposal and for participating in the dialogue,” he said.
The dialogue started on Dec 18 with BNP and will end on Jan 11 when the ruling Awami League delegation will meet the President.
The president will then form a search committee to select members of the new Election Commission that will take over from Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad commission, the tenure of which expires in February.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda’s 11 cases: Hearings delayed again
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Tarique Rahman's mother-in-law secures bail in graft case
- Election 'won't be easy' without BNP, Mirza Fakhrul says
- Stage collapses in Mohila Dal event in Chittagong, BNP leaders blame overcrowding
- Awami League MP Shamim Osman says Hifazat was not involved in May 5 Motijheel mayhem
- BNP questions Indian Army chief’s frequent Dhaka visit; ISPR says no visit scheduled
- Two CU BCL leaders expelled after clash with police
- Underfire Quader implores journalists not to make crow-hen reference
- HM Ershad acquitted of corruption charges over procuring radars
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- SSC results date announced
- ‘Improvised bomb’ found at Sylhet school
- Reports of North Korea artillery drill as US submarine makes South Korea port call
- Security forces raid Rajshahi homes
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet