President Hamid calls on political parties to reach agreement for a credible election
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-07 20:56:39.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 23:54:06.0 BdST
President Abdul Hamid has said that reaching a consensus among the political parties is as crucial as forming an effective Election Commission for holding elections in a free and fair manner.
“Building consensus among the political parties is as crucial as forming a robust Election Commission to ensure a credible election,” Hamid said while talking to JSD delegations on Saturday.
The Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD) delegation was at the Bangabhaban as part of the ongoing dialogue with political parties prior to forming a new Election Commission. The 10-member delegation was led by JSD President ASM Abdur Rob.
Bikalpa Dhara Bangladesh was also scheduled to meet with the president the same day but the talk has been rescheduled as the party’s chairperson AQM Badruddoza Chowdhury has fallen ill.
JSD made a three-point proposal to the president over forming the new Election Commission.
“JSD has suggested enacting a new law in order to skip the hassle of discussing with all political parties prior to forming an Election Commission every time,” he toldbdnews24.com.
“The president thanked JSD for the proposal and for participating in the dialogue,” he said.
The dialogue started on Dec 18 with BNP and will end on Jan 11 when the ruling Awami League delegation will meet the President.
The president will then form a search committee to select members of the new Election Commission that will take over from Kazi Rakibuddin Ahmad commission, the tenure of which expires in February.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- US Ambassador Bernicat meets BNP chief Khaleda
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Bangladesh Ambassador in Thailand receives Atish Dipankar Peace Gold Award
- Power prices to follow hike in gas prices, says minister
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- India signs MoU for sustainable development of Sylhet city
- Bharti Airtel to buy Telenor's India unit as rival Jio spurs consolidation
- Sylhet's Khadiza finally returns home
- Bangladeshi man killed in New York by landlord over rent dispute: Police
- Three killed, 12 injured in Bangladesh picnic bus crash