BNP announces countrywide demonstration to protest denial of Dhaka rally
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-07 12:16:18.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-07 14:49:38.0 BdST
After failing to secure permission for a rally in Dhaka, the BNP has said it will protest by launching countrywide demonstrations on Sunday.
The announcement on Saturday from a media conference came after police cordoned off the BNP Dhaka central office at Naya Paltan.
"We condemn the government's decision for not allowing today's rally," Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi told the media.
"BNP activists at every metropolitan cities and district towns in the country will be holding procession and rallies on Sunday."
He said that demonstrations will be held at every ward of the Dhaka City Corporation as well.
Ruhul Kabir Rizvi during Saturday's media call.
Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir said on Friday they would be able to hold the rally 'successfully' if they got any of the two venues.
The party observes Jan 5 as the 'Death of Democracy Day' marking the 2014 parliamentary elections that it boycotted.
It announced programmes for two days this year to observe the day.
Black-flag marches were held across the country, except Dhaka, on Thursday. The Dhaka rally was all about observing the 'Death of Democracy" Day.
The BNP first moved for a rally at the Suhrawardy Udyan, but on Friday said they had no problems holding it in front of the party office at Naya Paltan.
Authorities did not to respond to the BNP's letter seeking permission for the rally.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda will be able to contest elections even if she is convicted: Moudud
- BNP nominates Monirul Haque Sakku for Comilla City Corporation election
- CPB, BaSad questions BERC's role, announces 'public hearing' over gas prices hike
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Extradition of Bangabandhu killer will be a major breakthrough in Bangladesh-Canada relations: Shahriar
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- New government report finds Bangladesh island chosen to relocate Rohingyas as 'fit for habitation'
- Separate road crashes in Cox's Bazar leave five killed, at least 20 injured
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Old Dhaka road crash leaves medical college student killed
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- PM Hasina stresses product diversification, exploring new markets for apparel exports
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder