Awami League to celebrate third year in 10th Parliament Thursday
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-05 03:21:41.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-05 03:21:41.0 BdST
The Awami League has decided to hold rallies across Bangladesh and two big public meetings in the capital to mark the third anniversary of the 10th Parliament on Thursday.
The two public meetings will be held at the Russell Square and the Bangabandhu Avenue, a party source said.
The Dhaka Metropolitan North Awami League and the Dhaka Metropolitan South Awami League will be organising the meetings.
The ruling party is calling it the "Victory of Democracy Day" while the BNP termed it the "Death of Democracy Day".
The Awami League took power for a second successive term through the Jan 5, 2014, general election boycotted by the BNP.
This year, the BNP has called for holding ‘black flag rallies’ across the country barring Dhaka on Thursday.
Addressing the executive members of her party at the Ganabhaban on Wednesday, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said her party has governed the country with great success over the last three years.
"The people have voted us to power, and we have managed to live up to their expectations of delivering peace and development," she said.
"No government has been able to govern the country with this kind of success in the past," Hasina added.
The development of Bangladesh has caught the world by surprise, she said.
In her words, the eight successive years of rule by the Awami League has ensured visible development in the country.
"Our development paradigm is village-centric. We have not allowed any urban rich to become richer," the prime minister said.
"No one can hold back Bangladesh’s development anymore. It (development) will continue in the future. I am confident about it," she said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda will be able to contest elections even if she is convicted: Moudud
- BNP nominates Monirul Haque Sakku for Comilla City Corporation election
- CPB, BaSad questions BERC's role, announces 'public hearing' over gas prices hike
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Extradition of Bangabandhu killer will be a major breakthrough in Bangladesh-Canada relations: Shahriar
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- New government report finds Bangladesh island chosen to relocate Rohingyas as 'fit for habitation'
- Separate road crashes in Cox's Bazar leave five killed, at least 20 injured
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Old Dhaka road crash leaves medical college student killed
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- PM Hasina stresses product diversification, exploring new markets for apparel exports
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder