Two policemen among those injured in Thakurgaon
Thakurgaon Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-04 22:36:42.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-04 22:36:42.0 BdST
Two policemen and eight others have been injured when rival factions of Bangladesh Chhatra League skirmished in Thakurgaon town at a rally marking the organisation's 69th founding anniversary.
Sadar OC Moshiur Rahman said the incident took place around 1pm on Wednesday.
Locals said the violent face-off took place between Chhatra League central committee-appointed district committee President Mehboob Hussain Rony's supporters and those of Thakurgaon-2 MP Dabirul Islam supporting Siraji Mizan's group.
Those injured including ASI Abu Hanif were admitted to the Sadar Hospital and other healthcare facilities around the vicinity.
The identities of the others injured in the incident could not immediately be known.
Eyewitnesses told bdnews24.com that the Mizan faction occupied the local party office and cut a cake a minute past Tuesday midnight to mark the Chhatra League's anniversary.
They put up at the office at night to take part in the morning rally to mark the day, eyewitnesses said.
Locals say that Roni's group set out on another rally to mark the same event around 1pm on Wednesday.
When the procession parading several parts of the city reached the Amtali area, the two groups brandishing local weapons clashed with each other. They also chased and hurled brickbats at each other.
OC Moshiur Rahman said the fighting factions were dispersed only after six rounds of rubber bullets and 10 tear gas shells were fired.
He said additional police personnel were deployed in the town to ensure that the situation is kept under control.
A section of the Awami League has also alleged that Roni's group insulted its workers and leaders who tried to cool the frayed nerves.
District Awami League Senior Vice-President Mukul Hussain Babu told bdnews24.com that Roni's group insulted District Awami League Vice-President Mahbub Rahman Khokan, General Secretary Sadeq Quraishi, Joint General Secretary Dipak Kumar and other leaders and workers.
Asked about the incident, Roni said, "I do not wish to say anything on this."
He blamed the Mizan group for provoking the violence by hurling brickbats at his group while they were on a peaceful procession.
Mizan refuted the allegation, accusing Roni's group of mounting an attack on his group when they were busy preparing to take out a rally from the party office.
Thakurgaon-2 MP Dabirul Islam told bdnews24.com it is sad that such incidents of violence should take place on Chhatra League founding day.
He said action would be taken at the party level against those found guilty.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP sees strains on president-PM relations over 'difference on talks'
- President Hamid says he will consider all parties' proposals on forming next EC
- BNP leader Sabih Uddin admitted to Dhaka’s United Hospital
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- President Hamid urges parties to talk for fair election
- Nirob made Juba Dal president, Tuku general secretary
- Tangail Awami League expels MP Rana, prime suspect in freedom fighter's murder
- Zafrullah advises Rizvi to limit making media comments
- Hifazat-e Islam praises govt for ‘cleansing textbooks’
- PM asks ruling Awami League to get ready for a tough parliamentary election
- Bangladeshi gas station worker shot dead in Los Angeles
- Government splits home ministry in two divisions
- 'Brand Bangladesh’ on world stage in Davos World Economic Forum
- Former Egypt ambassador in Dhaka to take back his seized car
- First freight train from China to Britain arrives in London
- Woman surrenders to police after murdering husband
- Muminul dropped from Christchurch Test, Mustafizur, Shanto included
- Police arrest alleged attacker of Sylhet college girl Zhuma
- Obama suggests US embassy shift to Jerusalem could be 'explosive'
- Hasina faces question on Rampal Power Plant at Davos