Only Jatiya Party in power can make me live longer: Ershad tells supporters
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-01 17:54:15.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-01 20:59:42.0 BdST
Former military dictator HM Ershad once again wants to be in power in order to 'live longer'.
The octogenarian Jatiya Party chief made the remarks on Sunday at a rally on the party's founding day.
Addressing the Suhrawardy Udyan rally, Ershad, now a
special envoy to the prime minister, said the 2019 election will be the last
one of his life.
Ershad said his last wish was to see his party in power again. "The opportunity has come. We need strength to go to power and that depends on you. Strengthen the party."
He said Jatiya Party would introduce provincial government and revise the Upazila system if it were in power. "The UNOs (administration chiefs) now rule in the Upazilas. We want the people's representative doing the job."
The Jatiya Party will also offer quotas for religious minorities in Parliament, government jobs and higher education.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP sees strains on president-PM relations over 'difference on talks'
- President Hamid says he will consider all parties' proposals on forming next EC
- BNP leader Sabih Uddin admitted to Dhaka’s United Hospital
- Kader Siddique loses final legal battle over Tangail-4 by-polls nomination
- President Hamid urges parties to talk for fair election
- Nirob made Juba Dal president, Tuku general secretary
- Tangail Awami League expels MP Rana, prime suspect in freedom fighter's murder
- Zafrullah advises Rizvi to limit making media comments
- Hifazat-e Islam praises govt for ‘cleansing textbooks’
- PM asks ruling Awami League to get ready for a tough parliamentary election
- Bangladeshi gas station worker shot dead in Los Angeles
- Government splits home ministry in two divisions
- 'Brand Bangladesh’ on world stage in Davos World Economic Forum
- First freight train from China to Britain arrives in London
- Former Egypt ambassador in Dhaka to take back his seized car
- Woman surrenders to police after murdering husband
- Muminul dropped from Christchurch Test, Mustafizur, Shanto included
- Police arrest alleged attacker of Sylhet college girl Zhuma
- Obama suggests US embassy shift to Jerusalem could be 'explosive'
- Hasina faces question on Rampal Power Plant at Davos