JaSoD leaders tell president they want pro-Bangladesh EC, Search Committee
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-26 22:20:36.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 23:54:50.0 BdST
Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JaSoD) has proposed to constitute the Election Commission (EC) and the search committee to recommend the names of the commissioners with people who believe in the Liberation War ideals and the four fundamental principles of the Constitution.
A 12-strong JaSoD delegation, led by its chief and Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu, placed the proposal at the dialogue with President Md Abdul Hamid at the Bangabhaban on Monday.
After the meeting that lasted around an hour at the Darbar Hall, President’s Press Secretary Md Joynal Abedin briefed the media about the talks.
“The delegation proposed to form the Search Committee and the Election Commission who believe in the Liberation War spirit and the four fundamental principles of the Constitution,” he said.
JaSoD General Secretary Shirin Akhter placed the seven-point proposal.
Abedin said JaSoD’s other proposals include fixing a permanent process to form the EC and ensuring representation of women in the EC and the Search Committee.
“The president welcomed the JaSoD’s proposal and said their thoughtful views will be helpful in forming the EC,” Abedin said.
“It will be possible to form a strong Election Commission with cooperation by all the political parties,” he quoted the president as saying.
The other members of the JaSoD delegation were its Executive President Robiul Alam, Vice-Presidents Mir Hossain Akhter, Iqbal Hossain Khan, Habibur Rahman Shawkat, Shah Zikrul Ahmed, Standing Committee Members Dr Anwar Hossain, Nurul Akhter, Nader Chowdhury, Mosharraf Hossain, and Advisory Council Member MA Karim.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda will be able to contest elections even if she is convicted: Moudud
- BNP nominates Monirul Haque Sakku for Comilla City Corporation election
- CPB, BaSad questions BERC's role, announces 'public hearing' over gas prices hike
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Extradition of Bangabandhu killer will be a major breakthrough in Bangladesh-Canada relations: Shahriar
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- New government report finds Bangladesh island chosen to relocate Rohingyas as 'fit for habitation'
- Separate road crashes in Cox's Bazar leave five killed, at least 20 injured
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Old Dhaka road crash leaves medical college student killed
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- PM Hasina stresses product diversification, exploring new markets for apparel exports
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder