Saturday rally will take place: BNP
Published: 2013-05-03 16:11:27.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-03 18:36:28.0 BdST
The BNP has said that it will respond to the remarks of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at a press conference on Friday from Saturday’s rally at Motijheel’s Shapla Chattar.
Shamsuzzaman Dudu, an advisor to BNP's Chairperson Khaleda Zia, said: “Our Saturday’s rally will last only three hours. It will not create any obstacle in the rescue efforts at Savar. The rally will take place,” he told a press conference.
“We currently have nothing to say in reply to the honourable Prime Minister. Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia will respond tomorrow (Saturday) from the rally,” he said.
Hasina has urged the 18-Party alliance and Hifazat-e Islam to postpone their programmes for Saturday and Sunday to help the ongoing salvage operation at Savar and rehabilitation of the victims.
She made the call on Friday while briefing the media in the wake of the international criticism over the workplace safety in Bangladesh following the death of over 500 people in the collapse of the nine-storey Rana Plaza.
The BNP and its partners are set to rally at Shapla Chattar to renew the call for the release of their leaders and restoration of the caretaker government to oversee the general election.
Chittagong-based Hifazat, allegedly backed by Jamaat-e-Islam, is scheduled to besiege the capital the next day in a bid to compel the government to accept its 13-point charter of demands which includes punishment for ‘atheist’ bloggers and cancellation of the National Women Development Policy.
”I won’t request them to cancel their programmes. I only ask them to postpone them. They can donate the money, meant to be spent for their political programmes, to the victims,” Hasina said.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Minister Sayedul Hoque dropped from AL's Brahmanbarhia district advisory council
- Talk to political parties to appoint election commissioners: BNP to government
- JaSoD leader, BSMMU Professor Moazzem Hossain dies
- Rival US Awami League activists bicker at Hasina's reception in New York
- BNP chief Khaleda returns from Hajj, causes traffic mayhem on Airport Road
- Warrants out for BNP Vice-Chairman Selima Rahman, 13 others in firebombing of bus
- Awami League asks the BNP not to create 'unnecessary' controversy about election commission
- Just prior to the Hasina's UN speech AL, BNP trade slogan attacks in New York
- Mass AL gathering to escort Hasina from airport to Ganabhaban on Sep 26
- Dhaka court indicts 74 including Mirza Fakhrul in violence case with Paltan police
- Canada not expelling Noor Chowdhury, law minister says
- 'AK-47 seller' Akash lands in Feni jail after deportation from Malaysia
- 'Water Taxi' for Dhaka under Hatirjheel Development Plan
- PM Hasina’s return from US, ‘mass reception’ by Awami League deferred
- ICC clears Taskin, Sunny bowling actions after assessment
- No terror link found with man deported from Malaysia: Police
- Bangladesh captain Mashrafe eyes attacking cricket against Afghanistan
- Covered van runs over five persons in Chittagong after hitting bus on highway
- After split, London's Madame Tussauds separates Jolie, Pitt wax figures
- Nazmul Quaunine new Bangladesh envoy in the UK