Saturday rally will take place: BNP
Published: 2013-05-03 16:11:27.0 BdST Updated: 2013-05-03 18:36:28.0 BdST
The BNP has said that it will respond to the remarks of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at a press conference on Friday from Saturday’s rally at Motijheel’s Shapla Chattar.
Shamsuzzaman Dudu, an advisor to BNP's Chairperson Khaleda Zia, said: “Our Saturday’s rally will last only three hours. It will not create any obstacle in the rescue efforts at Savar. The rally will take place,” he told a press conference.
“We currently have nothing to say in reply to the honourable Prime Minister. Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia will respond tomorrow (Saturday) from the rally,” he said.
Hasina has urged the 18-Party alliance and Hifazat-e Islam to postpone their programmes for Saturday and Sunday to help the ongoing salvage operation at Savar and rehabilitation of the victims.
She made the call on Friday while briefing the media in the wake of the international criticism over the workplace safety in Bangladesh following the death of over 500 people in the collapse of the nine-storey Rana Plaza.
The BNP and its partners are set to rally at Shapla Chattar to renew the call for the release of their leaders and restoration of the caretaker government to oversee the general election.
Chittagong-based Hifazat, allegedly backed by Jamaat-e-Islam, is scheduled to besiege the capital the next day in a bid to compel the government to accept its 13-point charter of demands which includes punishment for ‘atheist’ bloggers and cancellation of the National Women Development Policy.
”I won’t request them to cancel their programmes. I only ask them to postpone them. They can donate the money, meant to be spent for their political programmes, to the victims,” Hasina said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- Proof or no proof, graft allegation was there in Padma Bridge project: BNP
- New EC should be accepted by all: Prof Emajuddin
- Airport killing seen on CCTV, probe strains Malaysia-North Korea ties
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- Blogger Rajib murder: Absconding death row convict Rana arrested in Dhaka
- Humayun Ahmed's portrayal in Farooki's 'Doob' is objectionable, says Shaon
- Jagannath University suspends teacher for 'sexually harassing' student
- Ekushey Padak for 17 this year
- Assailants of Gaibandha MP Liton identified, IGP says
- Bangladesh information minister says impact of Indian TV channels on family life will be researched
- Bangladesh paying tribute to Language Movement martyrs
- Norwegian foreign minister arrives in Dhaka to pay homage to Language Martyrs