Sting to sing as Paris Bataclan venue reopens after 2015 attacks
Published: 2016-11-05 15:55:18.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-05 15:59:22.0 BdST
The Paris concert venue where Islamist militants killed 90 people in November 2015 has enrolled rock star Sting for a concert to mark its reopening a year after the tragedy.
Sting, who headed up hit pop music band The Police before a long solo career, announced the news, saying on his website that the show would seek to honour those killed and the historic venue that is reopening after a year of renovation.
"In doing so we hope to respect the memory as well as the life affirming spirit of those who fell. We shall not forget them," said the 65-year-old singer.
Proceeds from the Nov 12 concert will go to two charities catering to victims of the attacks of Nov 13, 2015, with some of those who were hurt in the attack being invited back to see the Sting reopener.
The head of the firm that owns the Bataclan, a landmark for rock fans and partygoers of all ages, said the venue had been totally renovated, but kept largely as it was before.
"This is not a ceremony, it's a concert," Jerome Langlet, head of Lagardere Unlimited Live Entertainment, said.
"It's the one and the same Bataclan. We chose to change it all without changing anything - to change it all so that nothing remains of the night of absolute horror, but to change nothing of the soul and history of the Bataclan," he told reporters.
Roofing, tiling and seating were replaced but with material much like before, with better entrance hall lighting, he said.
In all, 130 people died a year ago when several groups of gunmen and suicide bombers attacked the perimeter of the Stade de France sports stadium, a string of Paris cafes and the Bataclan.
Responsibility for the killings was claimed by the Islamic State group, which has called on its followers to attack France, which is bombing IS bases in Iraq and Syria.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Voting underway for Comilla City Corporation elections
- At least seven militants killed in terror den at Moulvibazar
- BNP candidate re-elected Comilla mayor
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Comilla vote: Sima satisfied, Shakku objects
- Hasina visits the house of her daughter's in-laws in Faridpur
- Another ‘anti-terror raid’ begins in Tongi
- Election Commission expects 80 percent voter turnout in Comilla polls
- Dhaka bets on Beijing, Bengal to solve Teesta, says Kolkata's Telegraph'
- Blasts, firing during 'final assault' on terror den outside Moulvibazar town