First transgender model on French Vogue cover
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-15 15:25:12.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-15 15:25:12.0 BdST
Brazilian model Valentina Sampaio will be the first transgender model to grace the cover of a French magazine, according to NDTV.
The 22-year-old will feature as a ‘femme fatale’ on the cover of the Vogue Paris’s March edition.
"Beyond her evident physical qualities and her sparkling personality, (Sampaio) embodies... a long and painful fight against being perceived as a 'gender exile'," writes Vogue Paris Editor-in-Chief Emmanuelle Alt, in her editor's letter.
“Vogue supports and chooses to celebrate transgender people in a ‘post-gender world’”, Alt continues.
Alt goes on to pay homage to other transgender figures such as Lea T, muse of Givenchy designer Riccardo Tisci.
"The day when a transsexual poses for a magazine cover and it will be no longer necessary to write an editorial on the subject, we will know that the fight has been won."
Transgender women have made recent inroads into the spotlight.
‘Orange is the New Black’ star Laverne Cox was featured on the cover of Time magazine in July 2014.
Former US decathlon star Caitlyn Jenner came out as transgender on Vanity Fair’s June 2015 cover.
In December 2016, National Geographic’s cover story was titled “Gender Revolution” and depicted nine-year-old transgender girl Avery Jackson on the cover.
L’Oreal Paris has recently selected transgender model and actress Hari Nef to model its latest foundation cream in a global campaign.
The March edition of Vogue Paris will hit newsstands on Feb 23 and feature Sampaio on the cover over the title ‘Transgender Beauty’.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- 'LOL' T-shirt designer hopes to cash in on North Korean assassination
- First transgender model on French Vogue cover
- Bangladesh rings in spring with music, dance
- Hottest cut of all - Gaza barber wields blowtorch
- Jewellery ties east to west in Dhaka startup Ora
- Afghan girls fight prejudice with martial arts
- Tourism in Slovenia boosted by US First Lady Melania Trump factor
- Miss Universe beauty pageant kicks off in Manila
- Orwell's '1984' back as bestseller amid focus on 'alternative facts'
- Real Madrid logo won't feature Christian cross in Middle East clothing deal
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi