First transgender model on French Vogue cover
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-15 15:25:12.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-15 15:25:12.0 BdST
Brazilian model Valentina Sampaio will be the first transgender model to grace the cover of a French magazine, according to NDTV.
The 22-year-old will feature as a ‘femme fatale’ on the cover of the Vogue Paris’s March edition.
"Beyond her evident physical qualities and her sparkling personality, (Sampaio) embodies... a long and painful fight against being perceived as a 'gender exile'," writes Vogue Paris Editor-in-Chief Emmanuelle Alt, in her editor's letter.
“Vogue supports and chooses to celebrate transgender people in a ‘post-gender world’”, Alt continues.
Alt goes on to pay homage to other transgender figures such as Lea T, muse of Givenchy designer Riccardo Tisci.
"The day when a transsexual poses for a magazine cover and it will be no longer necessary to write an editorial on the subject, we will know that the fight has been won."
Transgender women have made recent inroads into the spotlight.
‘Orange is the New Black’ star Laverne Cox was featured on the cover of Time magazine in July 2014.
Former US decathlon star Caitlyn Jenner came out as transgender on Vanity Fair’s June 2015 cover.
In December 2016, National Geographic’s cover story was titled “Gender Revolution” and depicted nine-year-old transgender girl Avery Jackson on the cover.
L’Oreal Paris has recently selected transgender model and actress Hari Nef to model its latest foundation cream in a global campaign.
The March edition of Vogue Paris will hit newsstands on Feb 23 and feature Sampaio on the cover over the title ‘Transgender Beauty’.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- California's 'weed nuns' on a mission to heal with cannabis
- Prince Harry sought counselling more than a decade after mother's death
- As millions watch via webcam, giraffe gives birth in NY zoo
- No yolk! Bosnian villagers shoe eggs to keep age-old craft alive
- Trumpet voluntary - Elephants 'excited' by banana-toting Queen Elizabeth
- High heel dress code scrapped in Canadian province of British Columbia
- Egypt unearths part of ancient King Khufu's boat
- London exhibition elevates selfies as an art form
- 'Hideous' Cristiano Ronaldo statue sparks social media laughs
- Gold coin worth $4 million stolen from Berlin museum
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains