After Vatican controversy, McDonald's helps feed homeless in Rome
Published: 2017-01-17 12:55:40.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-17 12:55:40.0 BdST
McDonald's received a lukewarm reception when it opened a new branch just steps from St Peter's Square last month, but on Monday the fast food giant accepted a challenge to adopt one of Pope Francis's cherished principles - feeding the hungry.
The new restaurant, whose opening in a Vatican-owned building on Dec 30 upset some purists, donated dozens of meals on Monday to a charity which distributed them at a walk-in clinic in Rome.
Pope Francis has made defence of the poor and needy a cornerstone of his papacy, setting up shower stalls for the homeless near the Vatican, offering meals and even a VIP-style visit to the Sistine Chapel.
On Monday, homeless and needy people came to claim their double cheeseburger, chopped apple and bottle of water.
Pierfrancesco Spiga, 46, a Rome native who lost his job as a gardener and now sleeps in a residence run by a cooperative, said other companies should take up the initiative.
"It would be good if these multi-national companies gave food at the end of the day to poor people who don't have any, instead of throwing it away," Spiga said.
Some cardinals disapproved of the Vatican's leasing the building on the cobble-stoned Borgo Pio to the US chain, and one said the space would be better used to shelter the needy.
McDonald's, which did not comment on the initiative, pledged 1,000 meals which will be distributed by the Medicina Solidale charity over the next six months.
The project was born when Medicina Solidale's director wrote to McDonald's after the controversy over the site, charity representative Fotini Iordanoglou said outside the restaurant just steps from St. Peter's Square.
"McDonald's responded, giving us this chance to help," Iordanoglou said. "We absolutely won't resolve hunger but we are trying to give a small meal to people who need it."
Fifty lunches were served on Monday. A spokesman for the non-profit group said they hope to offer 100 once a week, and will look into whether the project can be made permanent.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Gold coin worth $4 million stolen from Berlin museum
- Sex in Thai city frustrates junta
- Britain's Prince George, 3, to start school in September
- Tobacco treaty has helped cut smoking rates, but more work needed
- Afghan music contest pits first female finalist against rapper
- Norway unseats Denmark as world's happiest country: report
- Thimble, wheelbarrow, boot kicked out of Monopoly board game
- Vienna again ranked world's nicest city, and Baghdad worst
- Thailand lays out buffet for elephants in national celebration
- Thai contestant crowned Miss International Queen in transgender pageant
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Autopsy done on bodies of two militants killed in Sylhet
- Visitors barred at Dhaka airport terminals to beef up security ahead of IPU Assembly
- Police get control of Sylhet’s 'Atia Mahal' as army ends 'Operation Twilight'
- Bombs turned Atia Mahal into a death trap, says army after Operation Twilight
- Four suspects dead inside Sylhet's terror den, army to continue operation
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- MP Salim Osman to face trial for publicly humiliating school teacher
- Indian visa rules for Bangladeshis relaxed further