Swedish archaeologists discover 12 ancient Egyptian cemeteries near Aswan
Published: 2017-01-12 13:24:22.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-12 13:24:22.0 BdST
Swedish archaeologists have unearthed a dozen burial sites near the southern city of Aswan that date back almost 3,500 years to the New Kingdom era of ancient Egypt, the Antiquities Ministry said on Wednesday.
Human and animal remains were found in the cemeteries, which were discovered in the Gabal al-Silsila or Chain of Mountains area 65 km north of Aswan and would have been used during the reigns of pharaohs Thutmose III and Amenhotep II.
Some of the cemeteries were for animals and contain one or two chambers with either stone or clay coffins, or ones made of cartonnage, Mahmoud Afify, the ministry's head of Ancient Egyptian Antiquities, said in a statement. Totems and scorpions were also found.
Initial examinations revealed several complete bodies as well as evidence of malnutrition and broken bones that were the result of heavy labour, the ministry quoted expedition head Maria Nilsson as saying.
Further studies are expected to reveal the social rankings of those buried there and what exactly what purpose the uncovered cemeteries served.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Ski resort razed by the Taliban lifts Pakistan's domestic tourism
- 'LOL' T-shirt designer hopes to cash in on North Korean assassination
- First transgender model on French Vogue cover
- Bangladesh rings in spring with music, dance
- Hottest cut of all - Gaza barber wields blowtorch
- Jewellery ties east to west in Dhaka startup Ora
- Afghan girls fight prejudice with martial arts
- Tourism in Slovenia boosted by US First Lady Melania Trump factor
- Miss Universe beauty pageant kicks off in Manila
- Orwell's '1984' back as bestseller amid focus on 'alternative facts'
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings