Egyptian man grows 'Beard of Bees', hopes to promote apian benefits
Published: 2016-12-06 03:10:58.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-06 03:15:26.0 BdST
Mohamed Hagras stands bare-chested as dozens of honeybees congregate around his face, eventually forming what he calls the "Beard of Bees".
To attract the insects he has a box housing their queen's hormones strapped to his chin.
The 31-year-old engineer-turned-beekeeper has been doing this for years both competitively - he fondly recalls a Canadian model's "Bikini of Bees" at a beekeeping event - and as an effort to educate Egyptians on the usefulness of bees.
"The goal is to show that bees are not aggressive," he told Reuters at his farm in Shibin El Kom, the capital of the Nile Delta province of Menoufia.
"One the contrary, they are helpful and produce things that help humans and agriculture."
Hagras extracts hormones from queen bees after they die and uses them to attract bees from the same hive to perform his show. He uses the same technique to form new hives, he says.
He uses the "Beard of Bees" at contests and exhibitions where like-minded people try to break world records. The current holder is a Chinese beekeeper who in 2015 covered his entire body with over a million bees, a combined weight of almost 110 kg (242.5 lb).
Other than honey and pollen, bees are also medicinal, Hagras says, adding that many people come to his farm to get stung in efforts to cure various diseases.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Ski resort razed by the Taliban lifts Pakistan's domestic tourism
- 'LOL' T-shirt designer hopes to cash in on North Korean assassination
- First transgender model on French Vogue cover
- Bangladesh rings in spring with music, dance
- Hottest cut of all - Gaza barber wields blowtorch
- Jewellery ties east to west in Dhaka startup Ora
- Afghan girls fight prejudice with martial arts
- Tourism in Slovenia boosted by US First Lady Melania Trump factor
- Miss Universe beauty pageant kicks off in Manila
- Orwell's '1984' back as bestseller amid focus on 'alternative facts'
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- 360 degree video: Cobra charming in India
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- Bangladesh’s duty-free quota-free access to US market extremely unlikely: Ambassador
- Bangladesh court sentences four people to 10 years in jail over child's death after falling into abandoned deep tube-well
- Please drop it, says Obaidul Quader on media reports over assaulting MP