Egyptian man grows 'Beard of Bees', hopes to promote apian benefits
Published: 2016-12-06 03:10:58.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-06 03:15:26.0 BdST
Mohamed Hagras stands bare-chested as dozens of honeybees congregate around his face, eventually forming what he calls the "Beard of Bees".
To attract the insects he has a box housing their queen's hormones strapped to his chin.
The 31-year-old engineer-turned-beekeeper has been doing this for years both competitively - he fondly recalls a Canadian model's "Bikini of Bees" at a beekeeping event - and as an effort to educate Egyptians on the usefulness of bees.
"The goal is to show that bees are not aggressive," he told Reuters at his farm in Shibin El Kom, the capital of the Nile Delta province of Menoufia.
"One the contrary, they are helpful and produce things that help humans and agriculture."
Hagras extracts hormones from queen bees after they die and uses them to attract bees from the same hive to perform his show. He uses the same technique to form new hives, he says.
He uses the "Beard of Bees" at contests and exhibitions where like-minded people try to break world records. The current holder is a Chinese beekeeper who in 2015 covered his entire body with over a million bees, a combined weight of almost 110 kg (242.5 lb).
Other than honey and pollen, bees are also medicinal, Hagras says, adding that many people come to his farm to get stung in efforts to cure various diseases.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- 'Hideous' Cristiano Ronaldo statue sparks social media laughs
- Gold coin worth $4 million stolen from Berlin museum
- Sex in Thai city frustrates junta
- Britain's Prince George, 3, to start school in September
- Tobacco treaty has helped cut smoking rates, but more work needed
- Afghan music contest pits first female finalist against rapper
- Norway unseats Denmark as world's happiest country: report
- Thimble, wheelbarrow, boot kicked out of Monopoly board game
- Vienna again ranked world's nicest city, and Baghdad worst
- Thailand lays out buffet for elephants in national celebration
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bangladesh Bank heist was 'state-sponsored': US official
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- RAB intel chief, injured in Sylhet blasts, to be brought back from Singapore
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh