Dad turns dead son into diamond
Published: 2013-12-23 18:46:27.0 BdST Updated: 2013-12-23 18:46:27.0 BdST
In a first-of-its-kind case in Italy, a grieving father had his dead son eternally preserved by getting the 20-year-old's ashes transformed into a diamond, Indian news agency PTI reported.
The father had his son's body exhumed and cremated before sending the ashes off to Switzerland so they could be compressed into the gemstone, the agency said.
According to the PTI report the young son, killed in a car crash earlier this year, had already been buried in his hometown of Treviso, in northern Italy, when his 55-year-old dad came up with the idea.
Remembrance diamonds are created by filtering and refining the carbon found in cremated ashes, then secured in a chamber, where intense pressure and a temperature similar to that of a volcano are applied, creating a synthetic diamond, 'The Local' reported.
The process can cost as much as $18,000, PTI quoting 'New York Daily News', said.
The father recently received the synthetic 'Remembrance Diamond' after an eight-month weight.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Probe body hints at involvement of insiders in Bangladesh Bank heist
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title
- Pakistan must target all jihadist groups: Crisis Group
- Sunrisers Hyderabad recruit Mustafizur Rahman in IPL draft