Dad turns dead son into diamond
Published: 2013-12-23 18:46:27.0 BdST Updated: 2013-12-23 18:46:27.0 BdST
In a first-of-its-kind case in Italy, a grieving father had his dead son eternally preserved by getting the 20-year-old's ashes transformed into a diamond, Indian news agency PTI reported.
The father had his son's body exhumed and cremated before sending the ashes off to Switzerland so they could be compressed into the gemstone, the agency said.
According to the PTI report the young son, killed in a car crash earlier this year, had already been buried in his hometown of Treviso, in northern Italy, when his 55-year-old dad came up with the idea.
Remembrance diamonds are created by filtering and refining the carbon found in cremated ashes, then secured in a chamber, where intense pressure and a temperature similar to that of a volcano are applied, creating a synthetic diamond, 'The Local' reported.
The process can cost as much as $18,000, PTI quoting 'New York Daily News', said.
The father recently received the synthetic 'Remembrance Diamond' after an eight-month weight.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Tennessee auto parts factory workers win $421 million lottery prize
- French 'Spiderman' climbs Barcelona skyscraper harness-free
- Tokyo holds its first fashion show for Muslim women
- Centuries-old Ten Commandments tablet goes under hammer for $850,000
- A London hotel’s new offering: A ‘neuroscientist in residence’
- Even physicists avoid mathematics: Study
- Shorter sleep may increase consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks
- The 8-year-old who gave publisher Bloomsbury Pottermania
- Bob Dylan now says will accept Nobel Prize in Literature
- Ripe old age: Humans may already have reached maximum lifespan
- What Dhaka’s Bus Rapid Transit will be like
- Fallen smartphone brand Nokia challenges Apple, Samsung again
- Bangladesh MPs must stop draft law allowing ‘exceptional’ child marriages: HRW
- Journalists demonstrate in Bangladesh against MP Dabirul’s lawsuit over bdnews24.com report
- UN wants more Bangladesh peacekeepers for South Sudan
- Trump to nominate retired General Mattis for Pentagon
- Bangladesh receives Parliament building's original design by Louis I Kahn
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi says international attention fuelling Buddhist-Muslim divisions
- Defence minister’s first-ever visit ‘strengthened fraternal ties' with Bangladesh armed forces: India
- Moonwalker Buzz Aldrin medically evacuated from South Pole