Union level health facilities can cope with 24/7 childbirth services: Research indicates
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-11-23 01:14:23.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-23 01:14:23.0 BdST
A new research has indicated that union level health and family welfare centre known as UHFWC can offer round the clock normal delivery services in Bangladesh.
International NGO, Population Council, looked into the possibility in their research against the backdrop that most women in rural areas give birth at home with the help of unskilled hands, resulting in complications and deaths.
The findings, which were shared at a function in Dhaka on Tuesday, showed that three issues - strengthening human resources, participation of the local people, and strong referral linkages -- can make the difference.
The Population Council with the help of the government’s family planning directorate intervened in 24 UHFWCs in Chittagong and Munshiganj districts and ensured those issues and monitored the services for a year.
Later, they found increased level of awareness among women to go to those facilities during childbirth. Pregnancy time check-ups have also increased.
Findings also suggest a higher rate of delivery at the health facilities in those intervention districts.
Population Council’s Country Director Ubaidur Rob who is also the principal investigator of the project presented the research findings. Director General for Family Planning Mohammad Wahid Hossain was present as chief guest.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Children with asthma may be at higher obesity risk: Study
- 25 percent of over half a million bags of blood come from donors: Quantum
- Nutella maker fights back on palm oil after cancer risk study
- Tk 173 Ventolin drug sells at Tk 400 in Dhaka, GSK says no price raised
- Smoking costs $1 trillion, soon to kill 8 million a year: WHO/NCI study
- Study finds screen use could be increasing chances of adolescent obesity
- US Republican senator introduces Obamacare repeal resolution
- BMDC serves notice on Labaid Hospitals over doctor’s death
- UK approves babies made from three parents
- Local leaders’ influence helps safe child birth in rural Bangladesh
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- No risk in using bamboo, wood as extra support in rail bridges: Ministry
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy