'Avatar 2' movie 'not happening' in 2018, James Cameron says
Published: 2017-03-12 03:34:37.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-12 03:34:37.0 BdST
The sequel to all-time box office champion "Avatar" has been delayed again and will not be arriving in movie theaters as expected in 2018, director James Cameron has said.
Cameron told the Toronto Star that he was working on all four planned movie sequels simultaneously and had no firm release date for "Avatar 2."
"Well 2018 is not happening. We haven’t announced a firm release date," the Oscar-winning director told the newspaper in an interview published on Thursday, when asked about progress on "Avatar 2."
"What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So we’re not making 'Avatar 2.' We’re making 'Avatar 2,' 3, 4 and 5. It’s an epic undertaking.
"It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we’re making four. We’re full tilt boogie right now," Cameron added.
The 2009 release of Twentieth Century Fox movie "Avatar," a fantasy adventure set in the distant magical world of Pandora, smashed box office records, taking in an as yet unrivaled $2.8 billion worldwide.
The sequel was first set for a 2014 release and has been delayed at least three times since then.
Fox did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Cameron's remarks.
Meanwhile, Disney this week gave fans a first glimpse of its Pandora theme park attraction that is due to open at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida in May.
The Pandora attraction features a Na'vi River Journey, floating mountains, luminescent plants, and an Avatar Flight of Passage ride - all inspired by the movie and its upcoming sequels, according to features on Disney-owned TV shows "Good Morning America" and "The View.".
Pandora, the World of Avatar is due to open within the park's Animal Kingdom on May 27.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- 'Beauty and the Beast' dazzles again, rebooted 'Power Rangers' off to solid start
- Knight Riders, Gauri Khan pulled up for forex rule violation
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- Rebooted Power Rangers return to big screen
- Harrison Ford called himself a 'schmuck' after plane incident
- Disney stole 'Zootopia,' writer claims in US lawsuit
- Vast Beatles collection goes on auction in Paris
- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry dies at 90
- Polanski cannot dictate terms to end rape case: LA prosecutors
- Ben Affleck says he has completed treatment for alcohol addiction
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Bangladesh airport authorities restrict visitors accompanying passengers
- Islamic State reportedly claims credit for Sylhet blasts