Disney's 'Zootopia' wins Oscar for best animated film
Published: 2017-02-27 11:01:25.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-27 11:01:25.0 BdST
Animal cartoon "Zootopia," an exploration of bias through the comedic story of a bunny who becomes a police officer, won the Academy Award on Sunday for best animated feature film.
The movie from Walt Disney Co's Disney Animation Studios was one of year's biggest box-office hits, selling more than $1 billion in tickets worldwide.
"Zootopia" features the voice of Ginnifer Goodwin as Judy Hopps, a rabbit who leaves her small hometown to join the big-city police force.
The family film tackles social issues as the residents of the animal metropolis are divided by prejudice and fear. Jason Bateman voices the role of a conniving fox.
The social commentary of "Zootopia" arrived in theatres as the United States grappled with issues of racism, sexism and inequality during the 2016 presidential campaign.
The filmmakers started developing "Zootopia" about five years ago with "this crazy idea of talking about humanity with talking animals, in hopes when the film came out it would make the world just a slightly better place," co-director Byron Howard said as he accepted the award.
The Oscar win for "Zootopia" extends a renaissance for Disney Animation Studios, which took home the animation trophy in 2014 for "Frozen" and in 2015 for "Big Hero Six." "Zootopia" was co-directed by Byron Howard and Rich Moore.
"Zootopia" competed against another Disney Animation film, the musical "Moana" about a young Pacific island heroine.
Other nominees were stop-motion film "Kubo and the Two Strings," Swiss drama "My Life as a Zucchini," and "The Red Turtle," a film with no dialogue, from Japan's Studio Ghibli.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- The truth is still out there as 'X-Files' returns for new season
- Drake profits are sought in New York lawsuit
- 'Fate of the Furious' Debuts to Hefty $100.2 Million
- Environment, politics and 'The Godfather' on Tribeca film fest menu
- Hollywood's Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner file for divorce
- Apu visits ‘ailing’ Shakib in hospital
- Actor Shakib Khan hospitalised amid bickering with wife, co-actor Apu Biswas
- Sanjay Dutt biopic 60 percent complete, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Actor Shakib Khan says co-star wife Apu Biswas ‘stepped into a trap’
- Well if he calls this a conspiracy, says Apu Biswas about Shakib wanting to hide their son
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece