‘La La Land’ takes 7 Golden Globes
Published: 2017-01-09 11:08:34.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-09 11:15:54.0 BdST
"La La Land" danced off with seven Golden Globes on Sunday in a ceremony marked by surprises and a stinging indictment by Meryl Streep of US President-elect Donald Trump.
"La La Land", a romantic musical about a struggling actress and a jazz pianist trying to make it in Hollywood, took home Globes for best comedy/musical and for its stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, as well as for director Damien Chazelle, screenplay, score and original song.
"This is a film for dreamers and I think that hope and creativity are the most important things in the world," said Stone.
Independent coming-of-age film "Moonlight" was named best drama movie, while Casey Affleck, star of "Manchester by the Sea" won best drama actor for his role as a man riven by grief.
The Globe wins, handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, strengthened the front-runner status of "La La Land" and "Moonlight" for the Oscars in February.
Isabelle Huppert was named best drama actress for the French psychological thriller movie "Elle" in an upset win over Natalie Portman for "Jackie."
First-time Golden Globes host Jimmy Fallon opened the ceremony, calling it "one of the few places left where America still honors the popular vote."
Trump takes office on Jan. 20 after winning the US presidential election in the Electoral College but losing the popular vote to rival Hillary Clinton.
But the evening's most dramatic moments came from Streep, the most admired actress of her generation, while accepting her lifetime achievement award.
Although the three-time Oscar winner never mentioned Trump's name, she said the most heartbreaking performance of 2016 came "when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter."
"It kind of broke my heart when I saw it and I still can't get it out of my head because it wasn't in a movie. It was real life," Streep said.
In television, Netflix's British royal drama "The Crown" won over fantasy "Game of Thrones" and sci-fi series "Westworld" for best drama series.
Hip hop show "Atlanta" won best TV comedy series and brought Donald Glover, its creator and star, a Golden Globe for best comedy actor.
Following is a list of winners in key categories.
Best Comedy or Musical
"La La Land"
Best Actor, Drama
Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"
Best Actress, Drama
Isabelle Huppert, "Elle"
Best Actor, Comedy or Musical
Ryan Gosling, "La La Land"
Best Actress, Comedy or Musical
Emma Stone, "La La Land"
Damien Chazelle "La La Land"
Best Supporting Actor
Aaron Taylor-Johnson "Nocturnal Animals"
Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis "Fences"
Best Animated Film
Best Original Song
"City of Stars" - La La Land
Best Foreign Language Film
Best TV Drama Series
Best Tv Comedy/Musical Series
Best Actor, TV Drama
Billy Bob Thornton "Goliath"
Best Actress, TV Drama
Claire Foy "The Crown"
Best Actor, TV Comedy
Donald Glover "Atlanta"
Best Actress, TV Comedy
Tracee Ellis Ross "black-ish"
Best TV Movie Or Limited Series
"The People v. O.J Simpson: American Crime Story"
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- The truth is still out there as 'X-Files' returns for new season
- Drake profits are sought in New York lawsuit
- 'Fate of the Furious' Debuts to Hefty $100.2 Million
- Environment, politics and 'The Godfather' on Tribeca film fest menu
- Hollywood's Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner file for divorce
- Apu visits ‘ailing’ Shakib in hospital
- Actor Shakib Khan hospitalised amid bickering with wife, co-actor Apu Biswas
- Sanjay Dutt biopic 60 percent complete, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Actor Shakib Khan says co-star wife Apu Biswas ‘stepped into a trap’
- Well if he calls this a conspiracy, says Apu Biswas about Shakib wanting to hide their son
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- Signal No. 3 hoisted at ports due to bad weather, rain may continue
- Coal vessel capsizes on Kirtankhola river
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- Man burns himself in attempted suicide during altercation with 'girlfriend'
- Death toll in Afghan base attack rises to 140, officials say