‘La La Land’ takes 7 Golden Globes
Published: 2017-01-09 11:08:34.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-09 11:15:54.0 BdST
"La La Land" danced off with seven Golden Globes on Sunday in a ceremony marked by surprises and a stinging indictment by Meryl Streep of US President-elect Donald Trump.
"La La Land", a romantic musical about a struggling actress and a jazz pianist trying to make it in Hollywood, took home Globes for best comedy/musical and for its stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, as well as for director Damien Chazelle, screenplay, score and original song.
"This is a film for dreamers and I think that hope and creativity are the most important things in the world," said Stone.
Independent coming-of-age film "Moonlight" was named best drama movie, while Casey Affleck, star of "Manchester by the Sea" won best drama actor for his role as a man riven by grief.
The Globe wins, handed out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, strengthened the front-runner status of "La La Land" and "Moonlight" for the Oscars in February.
Isabelle Huppert was named best drama actress for the French psychological thriller movie "Elle" in an upset win over Natalie Portman for "Jackie."
First-time Golden Globes host Jimmy Fallon opened the ceremony, calling it "one of the few places left where America still honors the popular vote."
Trump takes office on Jan. 20 after winning the US presidential election in the Electoral College but losing the popular vote to rival Hillary Clinton.
But the evening's most dramatic moments came from Streep, the most admired actress of her generation, while accepting her lifetime achievement award.
Although the three-time Oscar winner never mentioned Trump's name, she said the most heartbreaking performance of 2016 came "when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter."
"It kind of broke my heart when I saw it and I still can't get it out of my head because it wasn't in a movie. It was real life," Streep said.
In television, Netflix's British royal drama "The Crown" won over fantasy "Game of Thrones" and sci-fi series "Westworld" for best drama series.
Hip hop show "Atlanta" won best TV comedy series and brought Donald Glover, its creator and star, a Golden Globe for best comedy actor.
Following is a list of winners in key categories.
Best Comedy or Musical
"La La Land"
Best Actor, Drama
Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"
Best Actress, Drama
Isabelle Huppert, "Elle"
Best Actor, Comedy or Musical
Ryan Gosling, "La La Land"
Best Actress, Comedy or Musical
Emma Stone, "La La Land"
Damien Chazelle "La La Land"
Best Supporting Actor
Aaron Taylor-Johnson "Nocturnal Animals"
Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis "Fences"
Best Animated Film
Best Original Song
"City of Stars" - La La Land
Best Foreign Language Film
Best TV Drama Series
Best Tv Comedy/Musical Series
Best Actor, TV Drama
Billy Bob Thornton "Goliath"
Best Actress, TV Drama
Claire Foy "The Crown"
Best Actor, TV Comedy
Donald Glover "Atlanta"
Best Actress, TV Comedy
Tracee Ellis Ross "black-ish"
Best TV Movie Or Limited Series
"The People v. O.J Simpson: American Crime Story"
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Disney stole 'Zootopia,' writer claims in US lawsuit
- Vast Beatles collection goes on auction in Paris
- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry dies at 90
- Polanski cannot dictate terms to end rape case: LA prosecutors
- Ben Affleck says he has completed treatment for alcohol addiction
- Paul McCartney should wait to get back Beatles songs, Sony/ATV says
- "Beauty and the Beast" release postponed in Malaysia, even after "gay moment" cut
- Ed Sheeran storms US Billboard charts with 'Divide'
- Sri Lanka poised to board the Bollywood bandwagon
- Box Office - 'Kong: Skull Island' rules with mighty $61 million debut
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- Assailant shot, at least a dozen injured in incident at UK parliament
- Sheikh Hasina's India visit: What's new in Dhaka, Delhi defence tie?
- Customs seize Moosa bin Shamsher's car
- Ready to execute Mufti Hannan after receiving government order, says IG Prisons
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’
- Sonali Bank gets Bangladesh Bank nod to start PayPal services
- HuJI leader Mufti Hannan might seek presidential clemency, say jail authorities
- Shakib overtakes Ashwin for top Test allrounders spot after Bangladesh’s Colombo triumph
- Bangladesh warns of huge terrorist influx into India, says Times of India