Brad Pitt's request to seal divorce documents denied by judge
Published: 2016-12-08 10:25:46.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-08 10:25:46.0 BdST
Actor Brad Pitt's request to seal court documents in his high-profile custody and divorce proceedings involving actress Angelina Jolie was rejected by a Los Angeles judge on Wednesday.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Richard Burdge Jr rejected Pitt's motion at an emergency hearing, a court spokeswoman said. Pitt and Jolie did not attend.
While Burdge ruled against sealing the entire case, he said requests to seal specific documents would be considered, especially given that the six children at the centre of the custody case are all minors.
"The court recognises privacy rights of minor children and would be guided by what's in the minor children's best interest," Burdge said.
Jolie's representatives did not respond to phone and email messages from Reuters seeking comment, and Pitt's representatives said the actor would not comment on the matter.
Jolie, 41, and Pitt, 52, known collectively as "Brangelina," were together since 2005 and married for two years before their sudden split in September, which has been widely covered by news media.
Jolie filed for divorce from Pitt, citing irreconcilable differences, after an incident on a private plane in which Pitt was reported to have lost his temper in front of one or more of the children.
At the time, she said she made the decision "for the health of the family," and is seeking full physical custody of their children. The couple share adopted sons Maddox and Pax, adopted daughter Zahara and three biological children, Shiloh Nouvel and twins Knox Leon and Vivienne Marcheline, aged between 8 and 15.
Pitt, 52, was cleared in the incident last month by the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services. He has filed for joint custody of the children.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Dangal star Zaira spars with India minister over comparison with girl in hijab
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan acquitted in weapons case
- Art imitates life? Kim Kardashian films cameo for jewel heist movie
- Kawasaki dumps 'Apprentice' over Trump's continued involvement
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ premieres in Taipei
- Box Office: 'Hidden Figures' Dominates MLK Weekend
- Ringling Bros circus folding its tent after nearly 150 years
- Actors Johnny Depp, Amber Heard finalise bitter divorce
- Priyanka Chopra recovering after mishap on 'Quantico' set
- Michael Jackson spoof show scrapped after family complaints
- Uber raises fare price two months after Dhaka launch
- Dhaka city cleaning trucks gather dust in repair yard
- Private Toyota car found abandoned at Sherpur market
- Bangladesh home minister's son demands hanging of 'atheist' on Facebook
- Former Egypt ambassador in Dhaka to take back his seized car
- Two missing Gaibandha Awami League leaders 'remember nothing' on return
- RAB ‘framed, beat’ Germany-based Bangladeshi expat
- Southee takes five as Bangladesh dismissed for 289
- 'The work begins!': Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US president
- Trump, sworn in as US president, vows to put 'America First' in defiant speech