"American Honey" and "I, Daniel Blake" triumph in UK film awards
Published: 2016-12-06 08:30:03.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-06 08:30:03.0 BdST
"American Honey", "Under the Shadow" and "I, Daniel Blake" were among the winners at the British Independent Film Awards in London on Sunday, scooping some of the top prizes at the ceremony.
"American Honey", about a runaway teenage girl travelling across the American Midwest, was named Best British Independent Film and Andrea Arnold won the best director prize. Newcomer Sasha Lane won in the best actress category and the movie also picked up the award for Outstanding Achievement in Craft.
"Under the Shadow", set in post-revolution Iran in the 1980s, took the best screenplay award, the Douglas Hickox Award (Debut Director) for Babak Anvari and best supporting actress for Avin Manshadi.
Veteran director Ken Loach's drama "I, Daniel Blake" saw Dave Johns pick up the "best actor" award while actress Hayley Squires won "most promising newcomer".
"Moonlight", a story about a young black man growing up in a rough Miami neighbourhood, was named Best International Independent Film.
The event, which drew the likes of "Spectre" actress Naomie Harris and Oscar nominee Michael Fassbender, was hosted by British comedian Jennifer Saunders.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Key nominations for the 2017 Oscars
- 'La La Land' leads Oscar nominations with 14 nods
- Man dies trying to catch a glimpse of SRK in Vadodara
- Dangal star Zaira spars with India minister over comparison with girl in hijab
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan acquitted in weapons case
- Art imitates life? Kim Kardashian films cameo for jewel heist movie
- Kawasaki dumps 'Apprentice' over Trump's continued involvement
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ premieres in Taipei
- Box Office: 'Hidden Figures' Dominates MLK Weekend
- Ringling Bros circus folding its tent after nearly 150 years
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- No risk in using bamboo, wood as extra support in rail bridges: Ministry
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy