Hollywood stands behind Jennifer Aniston's take on media sexism
Published: 2016-07-14 23:39:24.0 BdST Updated: 2016-07-14 23:48:12.0 BdST
Hollywood celebrities are lining up behind actress Jennifer Aniston after she penned a blog criticising the media for the way it scrutinises female stars.
Melissa McCarthy, Jason Bateman and Olivia Wilde were among the A-Listers who showed their support.
"Everybody needs to stop tearing down women," McCarthy, 45, said on "Entertainment Tonight", after declaring she was "one hundred thousand billion percent" behind Aniston.
Former "Friends" star Aniston, 47, published the blog, "For the Record", on the Huffington Post on Tuesday, writing that she was sick of being harassed by photographers and tabloid reporters.
"For the record, I am not pregnant," she wrote. "What I am is fed up. I'm fed up with the sport-like scrutiny and body shaming that occurs daily under the guise of 'journalism', the 'First Amendment' and 'celebrity news’."
"The objectification and scrutiny we put women through is absurd and disturbing," Aniston also wrote, saying that "we define a woman's value based on her marital and maternal status."
Aniston's husband, actor Justin Theroux, posted an image of her to his Instagram page with the hashtag #wcw for "Woman Crush Wednesday". He linked to her letter and wrote, "Here's just one reason why."
Aniston, who People magazine named as the most beautiful woman of 2016 in April, said she wrote the blog because she "wanted to participate in a larger conversation" even though she does not use social media.
The blog post was "liked" on Facebook more than 27,000 times by Wednesday afternoon.
“The way I am portrayed by the media is simply a reflection of how we see and portray women in general, measured against some warped standard of beauty,” Aniston wrote.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- 'Beauty and the Beast' dazzles again, rebooted 'Power Rangers' off to solid start
- Knight Riders, Gauri Khan pulled up for forex rule violation
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- Rebooted Power Rangers return to big screen
- Harrison Ford called himself a 'schmuck' after plane incident
- Disney stole 'Zootopia,' writer claims in US lawsuit
- Vast Beatles collection goes on auction in Paris
- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry dies at 90
- Polanski cannot dictate terms to end rape case: LA prosecutors
- Ben Affleck says he has completed treatment for alcohol addiction
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Police put on alert across country
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- RAB Intelligence chief being taken to Singapore for treatment