Hollywood stands behind Jennifer Aniston's take on media sexism
Published: 2016-07-14 23:39:24.0 BdST Updated: 2016-07-14 23:48:12.0 BdST
Hollywood celebrities are lining up behind actress Jennifer Aniston after she penned a blog criticising the media for the way it scrutinises female stars.
Melissa McCarthy, Jason Bateman and Olivia Wilde were among the A-Listers who showed their support.
"Everybody needs to stop tearing down women," McCarthy, 45, said on "Entertainment Tonight", after declaring she was "one hundred thousand billion percent" behind Aniston.
Former "Friends" star Aniston, 47, published the blog, "For the Record", on the Huffington Post on Tuesday, writing that she was sick of being harassed by photographers and tabloid reporters.
"For the record, I am not pregnant," she wrote. "What I am is fed up. I'm fed up with the sport-like scrutiny and body shaming that occurs daily under the guise of 'journalism', the 'First Amendment' and 'celebrity news’."
"The objectification and scrutiny we put women through is absurd and disturbing," Aniston also wrote, saying that "we define a woman's value based on her marital and maternal status."
Aniston's husband, actor Justin Theroux, posted an image of her to his Instagram page with the hashtag #wcw for "Woman Crush Wednesday". He linked to her letter and wrote, "Here's just one reason why."
Aniston, who People magazine named as the most beautiful woman of 2016 in April, said she wrote the blog because she "wanted to participate in a larger conversation" even though she does not use social media.
The blog post was "liked" on Facebook more than 27,000 times by Wednesday afternoon.
“The way I am portrayed by the media is simply a reflection of how we see and portray women in general, measured against some warped standard of beauty,” Aniston wrote.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bollywood actor Salman Khan acquitted in weapons case
- Art imitates life? Kim Kardashian films cameo for jewel heist movie
- Kawasaki dumps 'Apprentice' over Trump's continued involvement
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ premieres in Taipei
- Box Office: 'Hidden Figures' Dominates MLK Weekend
- Ringling Bros circus folding its tent after nearly 150 years
- Actors Johnny Depp, Amber Heard finalise bitter divorce
- Priyanka Chopra recovering after mishap on 'Quantico' set
- Michael Jackson spoof show scrapped after family complaints
- Hollywood's gender pay gap is 'crazy': Natalie Portman
- Bangladeshi gas station worker shot dead in Los Angeles
- Government splits home ministry in two divisions
- 'Brand Bangladesh’ on world stage in Davos World Economic Forum
- Former Egypt ambassador in Dhaka to take back his seized car
- First freight train from China to Britain arrives in London
- Woman surrenders to police after murdering husband
- Muminul dropped from Christchurch Test, Mustafizur, Shanto included
- Police arrest alleged attacker of Sylhet college girl Zhuma
- Obama suggests US embassy shift to Jerusalem could be 'explosive'
- Hasina faces question on Rampal Power Plant at Davos