Actor Peter O'Toole dies
Published: 2013-12-16 01:15:26.0 BdST Updated: 2013-12-16 01:15:52.0 BdST
Actor Peter O'Toole, who shot to international fame in the blockbuster movie "Lawrence of Arabia", has died aged 81 in London after a long illness, his agent said on Sunday.
O'Toole, who had survived a bout of stomach cancer in the 1970s, died in a London hospital on Saturday, Steve Kenis, his agent, told Reuters.
O'Toole's striking good looks and charm sustained him through a stage and film career of more than 50 years that swung wildly between triumph and disaster.
The son of an Irishman, O'Toole grew up in England. Years of heavy drinking and chain-smoking took their toll on his health.
"Peter O'Toole's family announced today that very sadly Peter died yesterday, peacefully in hospital. He had been ill for some time," Kenis said in a statement.
Kate O'Toole, his daughter, thanked the public for what she described as an outpouring of love and affection for the late actor.
She asked for her family to be allowed to grieve in private, saying in the same statement it would organise a memorial service "filled with song and good cheer" in due course.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Deepika Padukone named Indian Psychiatric Society's brand ambassador
- Courteney Cox regrets 'horrible' bids to fight aging
- Jennifer Lawrence ranked world's highest paid-actress for second year
- Jason Statham promises plenty of action in 'Mechanic: Resurrection'
- Robert De Niro gets back into the ring with 'Hands of Stone'
- 'Suicide Squad' soundtrack scores second week atop Billboard chart
- Mislabelled pills seized at Prince's home after his death: Reports
- Popular comedian Farid Ali, fondly called 'Challi Foru' by Bangabandhu, dies
- Amber Heard donates $7 million settlement from Johnny Depp to charity
- Schwarzenegger says he wants world to be fitter
- 6.8 magnitude quake shakes Dhaka, other parts of Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu murder case's plaintiff AFM Mohitul Islam dies at 63
- Two ‘top terrorists’ killed in ‘shootout’ with RAB in Sirajganj
- Italy quake toll rises to nearly 250 as rescuers struggle to find survivors
- Two brothers found dead in Chittagong slum
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia for strengthening military cooperation
- Sacked army officer Zia masterminded publisher Dipan murder, police say quoting key suspect
- Odisha orders probe after man walks 10 km with wife's body
- John Kerry to focus on strengthening partnership with Bangladesh on Dhaka visit: State Department