Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
Abdur Rahim Harmachi, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-16 12:57:13.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-17 02:35:53.0 BdST
The Bangladesh capital market is flooded with foreign funds as investments grew 26 times in six months.
Markets analysts say a strong Bangladeshi Taka against the US Dollar, stable political atmosphere and no major drop in key macroeconomic indicators lured foreign investors to the stock markets.
According to central bank figures, net foreign portfolio investments worth $184 million came in the first six months of the ongoing FY 2016-17, compared to only $7 million during the same period in the previous fiscal.
“Almost every day we see new foreign entities investing in the Bangladeshi market,” said Shakil Rizvi, who owns one of the major brokerage firms.
A former president of the Dhaka Stock Exchange, Rizvi says the surge in foreign funds is creating confidence among local investors, which explains the recent bullish trend.
Figures released by the Bangladesh Bank show the total foreign portfolio investment in FY 2015-6 was $124 million, while during FY 2014-5 it was $379 million.
Explaining the drop in the last fiscal, Rizvi said prices of shares with strong fundamentals, including banks, had slumped. "But now the Taka has gained against the dollar, which caused the foreign investment to rise."
US dollar was traded at Tk 79.25 on Wednesday in inter-bank transactions. State-owned Sonali Bank sold a dollar for Tk 82.95 while foreign bank, the HSBC at Tk 83.50.
Bangladesh's stock markets, which experienced a bearish trend for almost six straight years following the 2010 crash, started to rebound in late last year.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- CPD appoints Fahmida Khatun as new executive director
- ‘Democracy essential for economic development’
- Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
- Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
- Bangladesh's Balance of Payment deficit increases
- Global Economy Weekahead: Soon time to watch for rising global inflation?
- Ex-BB governor Farashuddin slates 'high' mobile banking charges
- Govt not cutting fuel oil prices for now, State Minister Bipu says
- Bangladesh eyes $4 billion from third Indian Line of Credit
- Bangladesh Bank directs commercial banks not to lower savings interest rate
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi