Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-15 00:53:11.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-15 00:53:11.0 BdST
Bangladesh Ambassador to the US Mohammad Ziauddin has sought Washington’s support for “accelerating” its economic growth.
He met Congressman Ted S Yoho in Washington DC on Monday, the embassy said in a statement.
The Republican Congressman from Florida, Ted Yoho is a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.
The ambassador congratulated him on his new position as the chairman of the Asia Pacific region, which represents the maximum number of population and generates almost 80 percent of total trade in the world.
Ziauddin renewed his call for duty and quota-free market access of Bangladeshi products to the United States along with 13 other least developed countries (LDCs) which are left out of this scheme.
He mentioned about the ongoing cooperation including intelligence sharing between Bangladesh and the US and other friendly countries in countering terrorism.
The congressman thanked the ambassador for the briefing.
He said that his priority would be trade, economic growth and empowerment of the people in the Asia Pacific region, and “therefore, he would like to work with small countries like Bangladesh”.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chinese investors find their cash is losing its cachet
- Foundation stone for Padma Rail bridge in April, says railways minister
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- CPD appoints Fahmida Khatun as new executive director
- ‘Democracy essential for economic development’
- Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
- Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
- Bangladesh's Balance of Payment deficit increases
- Global Economy Weekahead: Soon time to watch for rising global inflation?
- Ex-BB governor Farashuddin slates 'high' mobile banking charges
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings