Ex-secretary Arastoo Khan made chairman in big Islami Bank shake-up
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-05 23:53:57.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 00:17:04.0 BdST
The Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited (IBBL) has shaken up its top brass.
Former secretary Arastoo Khan has been made chairman of the most profitable private bank in Bangladesh.
Executive Committee Chairman Syed Ahsanul Alam Parvez has become a vice-chairman.
Senior Deputy Managing Director Mahbubul Alam is acting managing director of the bank now.
Khan was appointed chairman of Bangladesh Commerce Bank Limited on Jan 11 last year for three years.
The former Planning Commission member had been an additional secretary at the Economic Relations Division. He had also been at the finance ministry for a long time.
He also worked as director of several government and private banks, including IFIC Bank Limited, Karmasangstan Bank, and Agrani Bank.
Those demonstrating for war crimes trial have been vocal against some Jamaat-e-Islami leaders' involvement in the bank.
Jamaat leader Mir Quasem Ali, a founding vice-chairman of the bank, has been hanged for war crimes.
Bangladesh Bank has also been monitoring the Islami Bank. An observer was appointed to the bank in 2010.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Commerce Minister Tofail hints at 'conspiracy' behind Dollar gaining against Taka
- Flash floods will not drive up rice prices, says food minister
- Banks asked not to take loan instalments from farmers in Haor areas
- IFC eager to invest in agriculture
- World Bank Group, China-led AIIB agree to deepen cooperation
- Akbar Ali Khan sees no sign of good governance in near future
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Muhith expects 7.5 percent growth in 2016-17 fiscal
- Bangladesh relies on BIMSTEC as SAARC fails: Gowher Rizvi
- Remittances to developing countries decline for second straight year: World Bank report
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Suspicion over claim against Dhaka University teacher over use of 'indecent' photos
- Bangladesh prodded to 'reposition’ itself to improve business climate
- New VAT law: Heated exchange between Muhith, FBCCI
- Sehri and iftar timings for the coming Ramadan
- Mashrafe flying back to Bangladesh from England as wife falls sick
- Steps will be taken if neglect found in haor dam construction: PM
- Why Bangladesh was not warned of Haor flooding by India, asks BELA
- Bangladesh is now free of formalin in food, says commerce minister
- Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader warns party leaders and supporters