Ex-secretary Arastoo Khan made chairman in big Islami Bank shake-up
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-05 23:53:57.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 00:17:04.0 BdST
The Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited (IBBL) has shaken up its top brass.
Former secretary Arastoo Khan has been made chairman of the most profitable private bank in Bangladesh.
Executive Committee Chairman Syed Ahsanul Alam Parvez has become a vice-chairman.
Senior Deputy Managing Director Mahbubul Alam is acting managing director of the bank now.
Khan was appointed chairman of Bangladesh Commerce Bank Limited on Jan 11 last year for three years.
The former Planning Commission member had been an additional secretary at the Economic Relations Division. He had also been at the finance ministry for a long time.
He also worked as director of several government and private banks, including IFIC Bank Limited, Karmasangstan Bank, and Agrani Bank.
Those demonstrating for war crimes trial have been vocal against some Jamaat-e-Islami leaders' involvement in the bank.
Jamaat leader Mir Quasem Ali, a founding vice-chairman of the bank, has been hanged for war crimes.
Bangladesh Bank has also been monitoring the Islami Bank. An observer was appointed to the bank in 2010.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ADP size unchanged, more funds from internal resources
- Bangladesh’s ADP implementation falters on deadly Gulshan terror attack
- Bangladesh budget for 2017-18 fiscal to top Tk 4 trillion: Finance minister
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- Gas was too cheap, Muhith says in defence of price hike
- India signs MoU for sustainable development of Sylhet city
- Gas prices bubble up: Bangladesh households hit with over 50% monthly rise for stoves
- Chinese investors find their cash is losing its cachet
- Foundation stone for Padma Rail bridge in April, says railways minister
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- Bangladesh Parliament passes law allowing child marriage in ‘special circumstances’
- Dhaka University sacks sociology professor for sexually harassing female students
- Transport workers strike nationwide after courts convict two drivers for road crash
- No sign of respite as workers continue transport strike
- Police lob tear gas shells, use water cannon on strikers protesting gas prices hike
- High Court stays second phase gas price hike to be effective in June
- Ershad advises government to adopt stern measures over transport strike
- Tweeting accountant blamed for Oscar best picture blunder
- Ex-SP Babul reacts to allegations of fling, 'killing' a colleague
- Bangladesh officially recognises Kosovo as an independent country