Ex-secretary Arastoo Khan made chairman in big Islami Bank shake-up
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-05 23:53:57.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 00:17:04.0 BdST
The Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited (IBBL) has shaken up its top brass.
Former secretary Arastoo Khan has been made chairman of the most profitable private bank in Bangladesh.
Executive Committee Chairman Syed Ahsanul Alam Parvez has become a vice-chairman.
Senior Deputy Managing Director Mahbubul Alam is acting managing director of the bank now.
Khan was appointed chairman of Bangladesh Commerce Bank Limited on Jan 11 last year for three years.
The former Planning Commission member had been an additional secretary at the Economic Relations Division. He had also been at the finance ministry for a long time.
He also worked as director of several government and private banks, including IFIC Bank Limited, Karmasangstan Bank, and Agrani Bank.
Those demonstrating for war crimes trial have been vocal against some Jamaat-e-Islami leaders' involvement in the bank.
Jamaat leader Mir Quasem Ali, a founding vice-chairman of the bank, has been hanged for war crimes.
Bangladesh Bank has also been monitoring the Islami Bank. An observer was appointed to the bank in 2010.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US may accuse North Korea of theft of Bangladesh reserves at New York Fed: Wall Street Journal
- NSA official points the finger at North Korea in Bangladesh Bank heist
- New draft law proposes official clearance mandatory for building houses in villages
- World economy picks up after decade of stagnation
- Rooppur N-power plant: Bangladesh, Russia agree on spent fuel management plan
- Planning ministry detects misuse of fund in Chittagong court building construction
- Inflation rose again in February
- Foreign Direct Investment goes up by 7.8% in first seven months of 2016-17
- Islami Bank is not operating in Islamic way: Ibrahim Khaled
- Salman F Rahman surprised at seeing his name on global list of super-rich
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- Assailant shot, at least a dozen injured in incident at UK parliament
- Sheikh Hasina's India visit: What's new in Dhaka, Delhi defence tie?
- Customs seize Moosa bin Shamsher's car
- Ready to execute Mufti Hannan after receiving government order, says IG Prisons
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’
- Sonali Bank gets Bangladesh Bank nod to start PayPal services
- HuJI leader Mufti Hannan might seek presidential clemency, say jail authorities
- Shakib overtakes Ashwin for top Test allrounders spot after Bangladesh’s Colombo triumph
- Bangladesh warns of huge terrorist influx into India, says Times of India