Bangladesh clears four more economic zones
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-05 15:26:44.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-05 15:26:44.0 BdST
In a bid to create more jobs and spur growth, Bangladesh has cleared four more economic zones to be operated by the private sector.
The approval came on Thursday during a meeting of the Bangladesh Economic Zones Authority (BEZA), chaired by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
The Prime Minister's press secretary Ihsanul Karim told the media after the meeting that the new economic zones will be set up in the districts of Madaripur, Faridpur, Noakhali and Kishoreganj.
He quoted the prime minister as saying that the government's initiative for industrial blocks aims to protect farm lands from unplanned industrialisation.
Karim said the meeting also discussed the draft of policy for creating Economic Zones Welfare Fund and a new tariff regime for land in special economic zones.
It has also agreed to provide plots to investors at a competitive price, he added.
Bangladesh plans to set up 100 such zones in the country using 75,000 acres of land by 2030.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US may accuse North Korea of theft of Bangladesh reserves at New York Fed: Wall Street Journal
- NSA official points the finger at North Korea in Bangladesh Bank heist
- New draft law proposes official clearance mandatory for building houses in villages
- World economy picks up after decade of stagnation
- Rooppur N-power plant: Bangladesh, Russia agree on spent fuel management plan
- Planning ministry detects misuse of fund in Chittagong court building construction
- Inflation rose again in February
- Foreign Direct Investment goes up by 7.8% in first seven months of 2016-17
- Islami Bank is not operating in Islamic way: Ibrahim Khaled
- Salman F Rahman surprised at seeing his name on global list of super-rich
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- Assailant shot, at least a dozen injured in incident at UK parliament
- Sheikh Hasina's India visit: What's new in Dhaka, Delhi defence tie?
- Customs seize Moosa bin Shamsher's car
- Ready to execute Mufti Hannan after receiving government order, says IG Prisons
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’
- Sonali Bank gets Bangladesh Bank nod to start PayPal services
- HuJI leader Mufti Hannan might seek presidential clemency, say jail authorities
- Shakib overtakes Ashwin for top Test allrounders spot after Bangladesh’s Colombo triumph
- Bangladesh warns of huge terrorist influx into India, says Times of India