Japan to give Tk 86.6 billion loan for six projects, 'biggest' in Yen for Bangladesh
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2015-12-13 17:23:08.0 BdST Updated: 2015-12-13 18:08:41.0 BdST
Bangladesh has signed a deal with Japan for a Tk 86.6 billion loan to be spent on six projects such as power, health, and infrastructure.
The credit, which charges 0.01 percent interest, will have to be repaid in 40 years with a 10-year grace period.
Japanese Ambassador Masato Watanabe says it is the biggest loan in Yen the country is giving to Bangladesh.
The deal was inked on Sunday between the two governments at the National Economic Council.
Economic Relations Division’s (ERD) Senior Secretary Mohammad Mejbahuddin and Japan International Cooperation Agency’s (JICA) Chief Representative in Bangladesh Mikio Hataeda signed the agreement.
“This assistance from Japan will take our economy to a new height. Bangladesh needs a lot of investment to graduate from a lower-middle income country to a higher-middle income one,” the ERD secretary said at the ceremony.
The Japanese envoy in Dhaka also attended the ceremony.
“This is the biggest loan in Yen Japan is giving to Bangladesh. It’s part of the $6 billion assistance which was promised during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Tokyo visit,” said Ambassador Watanabe.
The loan will be spent on projects on boosting foreign direct investments, upgrading the Dhaka- Chittagong power grid, modernising urban building safety, development of bridges, improving maternal and child health, and establishing good governance at Upazila levels.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chinese investors find their cash is losing its cachet
- Foundation stone for Padma Rail bridge in April, says railways minister
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- CPD appoints Fahmida Khatun as new executive director
- ‘Democracy essential for economic development’
- Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
- Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
- Bangladesh's Balance of Payment deficit increases
- Global Economy Weekahead: Soon time to watch for rising global inflation?
- Ex-BB governor Farashuddin slates 'high' mobile banking charges
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings