Power, energy sector allocation doubled in 2015-16 budget
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2015-06-04 20:53:39.0 BdST Updated: 2015-06-04 20:53:39.0 BdST
The government is doubling the allocation for the power and energy sector.
Finance Minister AMA Muhith on Thursday proposed to raise the allocation for the sector to around Tk 185 billion in the budget for 2015-16 fiscal.
The sector got Tk 93.39 billion in the revised budget for 2014-15 fiscal. The sum is around four percent of the total budget.
“Power crisis has almost been mitigated. We are now taking a number of steps aimed at lasting and sustainable solution,” Muhith said.
According to him, the power generation capacity has been increased to 13,675 MW from 4,942 MW in 2009.
“In addition to increasing the power generation capacity, our target is to ensure supply of at least 80 percent of the production capacity by 2018,” he said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Tripura to have three railway links with Bangladesh, says Indian minister
- US may accuse North Korea of theft of Bangladesh reserves at New York Fed: Wall Street Journal
- NSA official points the finger at North Korea in Bangladesh Bank heist
- New draft law proposes official clearance mandatory for building houses in villages
- World economy picks up after decade of stagnation
- Rooppur N-power plant: Bangladesh, Russia agree on spent fuel management plan
- Planning ministry detects misuse of fund in Chittagong court building construction
- Inflation rose again in February
- Foreign Direct Investment goes up by 7.8% in first seven months of 2016-17
- Islami Bank is not operating in Islamic way: Ibrahim Khaled
- Bangladesh Bank building catches fire
- Bangladesh formally joins 'India's South Asia Satellite' initiative
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee rules out removing Bangabandhu's bust
- Bangladesh take Miraz in squad for Sri Lanka ODIs
- UK envoy attack: Death row convict Ripon to seek presidential clemency
- Murdered man found in ‘rented’ Chittagong flat
- Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first: Mamata
- British police make seven arrests after London attack
- High Court verdict in Ershad's appeal against graft conviction stalled