Spinner Maharaj gets first ODI call up
Published: 2017-04-20 08:33:59.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-20 08:33:59.0 BdST
Left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj got a first-ever One Day International call-up when he was named on Wednesday to South Africa’s 15-man squad for three matches against England next month, followed by the Champions Trophy.
Maharaj, who helped South Africa to test success in New Zealand last month, bolsters the spin options alongside Imran Tahir for the ODIs against England. Their first group match of the Champions Trophy will come on June 3 against Sri Lanka at the Oval.
Cricket South Africa convener Linda Zondi said the selectors have picked a strong squad that covered all the combinations and conditions on offer for the eighth edition of the eight-team event.
"We have been working with this group of players for the last two seasons where our key emphasis has been consistency in selection," he said in media statement.
"That has shown in how this group has performed over the last while, which has resulted in winning three consecutive ODI series."
The squad will leave for England on May 16 and will begin their preparations with two 50-over tour matches against Sussex and Northamptonshire.
Squad: AB de Villiers (captain), Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, JP Duminy, Keshav Maharaj, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Wayne Parnell, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Imran Tahir.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe’s two mantras for winning Champion Trophy battles
- Test bowler Tsotsobe charged with match fixing
- Australia spinner O'Keefe misses out on national contract
- Younis reaches 10,000 Test runs in first for Pakistan
- New Zealand recall injured trio in Champions Trophy squad
- Mathews, Malinga back for Sri Lanka's Champions Trophy bid
- KKR skittle RCB out for IPL's lowest score to seal big win
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- West Indies recover from early setback against Pakistan
- Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- RAB arrests BUET student, suspected JMB ‘bomb expert’
- BIDA signs MoU for $2 billion Chinese investment in construction sector
- SWAT starts raid on Chapainawabganj ‘militant den’; gunshots heard
- Law Minister Anisul Huq asks chief justice not to complain publicly
- Bangladeshis are largest foreign takers of Indian health services: Report
- Five-year-old Sumaiya found after 24 days
- Macron’s unusual love story carries on French tradition
- Former British PM David Cameron arrives in Dhaka
- Hillary Clinton’s aides threatened me with tax audit: Sajeeb Wazed Joy