Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
Sports Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-04-20 23:14:05.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-20 23:24:24.0 BdST
At his best Nasir Hossain was celebrated as ‘the finisher’ by fans and the Bangladesh middle-order batsman is keen to revive his status after being recalled for the Ireland tri-nation series.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board handed him a spot in the 18-man squad for next month’s tri-series, which also involves New Zealand, on Thursday.
The spinning allrounder has fulfilled his goal of returning to the squad, ending a six-month hiatus from the national team and moved closer to his primary objective – to establish himself in the Tigers’ ranks.
“I thank those who were behind my selection, they have kept their faith in me. I have always tried to do well whenever and wherever I got the opportunity. But it does not end in getting the opportunity now, the real work is to do well there,” Nasir said.
“I will definitely want to return to where I was. I always enjoy finishing a match. I feel I’m back in the form I was in before,” said the 25-year-old, who last appeared for Bangladesh against England in last October.
Though Sabbir Rahman’s spot is secure at the top order, and getting into the playing eleven will still be a stiff task for Nasir as the team contains three more spinning allrounders – Mahmudullah, Mosaddek Hossain and Mehedi Hasan Miraz.
But selection is not his primary concern at the moment.
“I am not thinking about that. I’m not even worried about which players fall in the same category, everybody plays for Bangladesh. The thing is... if I get the chance, I’d want to seal my place in the team by playing well.”
Speaking to reporters after his match in the Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League, Nasir said he construes the fans’ admiration as inspiration, rather than pressure.
“It [fans’ adoration] may create pressure but it also delivers a lot of confidence. People being fond of me, praying for me – this is my biggest achievement. I always sense that everyone loves me. I will definitely try to repay their love,” he added.
In the buildup to his return to the national fold, Nasir struck a sparkling double century in the National Cricket League and staked his claim for a spot in the team with a superb century in the Emerging Teams Asia Cup last month. He then began the ongoing DPL with a three-digit score.
The right-handed batsman said these knocks were the outcome of his hard work.
The team will fly to Sussex on Apr 26 for a training camp before playing their opening match of the tri-series on May 12 in Ireland.
In June, Bangladesh will play in the Champions Trophy which will be hosted by England and Wales. Nasir has been kept in the list of standbys alongside a 15-strong squad for that trip.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh skipper Mashrafe’s two mantras for winning Champion Trophy battles
- Test bowler Tsotsobe charged with match fixing
- Australia spinner O'Keefe misses out on national contract
- Younis reaches 10,000 Test runs in first for Pakistan
- New Zealand recall injured trio in Champions Trophy squad
- Mathews, Malinga back for Sri Lanka's Champions Trophy bid
- KKR skittle RCB out for IPL's lowest score to seal big win
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- West Indies recover from early setback against Pakistan
- Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- RAB arrests BUET student, suspected JMB ‘bomb expert’
- SSC results date announced
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet
- India-owned BHEL gets $1.5 billion order to build Rampal Power Plant
- China to invest $2 billion in Bangladesh construction materials sector
- 12,000 illegal Bangladeshi immigrants ready to leave Saudi Arabia
- Law Minister Anisul Huq asks chief justice not to complain publicly
- Device found in Sylhet school not a bomb, says RAB
- Five-year-old Sumaiya missing for 23 days now