Bangladesh begin tough chase after Tharanga ton
Published: 2017-03-10 18:24:28.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-10 18:24:28.0 BdST
Sri Lanka opener Upul Tharanga struck his third Test century to help his team set Bangladesh a mammoth 457-run victory target on the penultimate day of the first Test on Friday.
Tharanga made 115 and Dinesh Chandimal scored 50 not out before Sri Lanka, who had taken a 182-run first-innings lead, declared their second on 274 for six at the Galle International Stadium.
Bangladesh were 67 for no loss when bad light forced an early close with the tourists still needing 390 runs for an improbable win at a ground where no team has scored more than 300 in the fourth innings.
Soumya Sarkar was unbeaten on 53, his second half-century of the match, with Tamim Iqbal on 13 when play was called off.
Sri Lanka scored briskly after lunch, milking 160 runs in the 31-over session despite losing four wickets.
Tharanga took a single off left-arm spinner Shakib Al Hasan to bring up his century and was eventually bowled by off-spinner Mehedi Hasan Miraz. Tharanga's knock included 11 fours and two sixes.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Pakistan bowler Irfan suspended for a year over spot-fixing
- South Africa take New Zealand series after being saved by rain
- NZ take charge after Proteas batting collapse
- Rahul, Rahane guide India to 2-1 series win against Australia
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Rahul, Rahane guide India to 2-1 series win
- Buoyant Bangladesh primed to secure first ODI series against Sri Lanka
- India close in on win after Jadeja's allround brilliance
- Shoaib and Shadab lead Pakistan to opening win over Windies
- Williamson thwarts Proteas with record-equalling ton
- Voting underway for Comilla City Corporation elections
- At least seven militants killed in terror den at Moulvibazar
- BNP candidate re-elected Comilla mayor
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Comilla vote: Sima satisfied, Shakku objects
- Hasina visits the house of her daughter's in-laws in Faridpur
- Another ‘anti-terror raid’ begins in Tongi
- Election Commission expects 80 percent voter turnout in Comilla polls
- Dhaka bets on Beijing, Bengal to solve Teesta, says Kolkata's Telegraph'
- Blasts, firing during 'final assault' on terror den outside Moulvibazar town