Anderson blitz sinks Bangladesh as New Zealand complete T20 series sweep
Sports Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-08 11:29:28.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 13:21:53.0 BdST
A belligerent 41-ball 94 from Corey Anderson has propelled New Zealand to a 27-run win in the last T20I against Bangladesh, sealing a complete limited-overs rout with another 3-0 clean sweep.
Anderson and Kane Williamson (60) put up a brisk 124-run stand to power the Black Caps to a huge 194 for 4 after being asked to bat at the Bay Oval in Mt Maunganui on Sunday.
Bangladesh raced to 82-1 in the ninth over riding a rapid start from Tamim Iqbal (24) and Soumya Sarkar (42).
But the introduction of New Zealand leg-spinner Ish Sodhi (2-22) and other slow bowlers checked their progress.
Chasing the massive target, Bangladesh fell too far behind the asking rate, finishing on Bangladesh 167 for 6 with Shakib Al Hasan adding a fighting 33-ball 41.
The hosts had earlier been reduced to 41-3 in the seventh over after Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza won the toss.
Paceman Rubel Hossain (3-31) dismissed James Neesham for 15 and Colin Munro for a duck in the same over before Mosaddek Hossain struck with his first ball to send back Tom Bruce (5).
Captain Kane Williamson (60) then struck his second fifty of the series while left-hander Anderson provided the late flourish, blasting 10 sixes and two fours in his unbeaten knock.
The duo also brought up the Kiwi’s highest fourth-wicket stand in T20 internationals.
Anderson bludgeoned part-time medium-pacer Sarkar for a hat-trick of sixes over mid-wicket, his 10 sixes the highest by a New Zealander in the format.
Bangladesh stayed winless in their first overseas tour after two years as the T20 series whitewash follows a 3-0 sweep of the ODI series by New Zealand.
The teams will next play two Test matches starting on Thursday.
New Zealand: 194/4 in 20 overs (Williamson 60, Anderson 94*; Rubel 3/31, Mosaddek 1/27)
Bangladesh: 167/6 in 20 overs (Tamim 24, Soumya 42, Shakib 41; Santner 1/37, Boult 2/48, Sodhi 2/22, Williamson 1/9)
Result: New Zealand win by 27 runs.
Series: New Zealand win 3-0
Man-of-the-match: Corey Anderson
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- De Villiers returns to lead South Africa one-day side
- Coach Hathurusingha sees progress in Bangladesh’s winless New Zealand tour
- Shakib Al Hasan achieves career-best spot in ICC Test rankings
- Tamim takes full responsibility for Bangladesh’s batting collapse in Christchurch
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- New Zealand need 109 runs to clinch Christchurch Test
- Fiery Warner helps Australia seal ODI series win over Pakistan
- Rain washes out third day of Christchurch Test
- Sri Lanka back Mathews as captain until 2019 World Cup
- Miller fireworks leads South Africa to victory over Sri Lanka
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas coming to Dhaka