Anderson blitz sinks Bangladesh as New Zealand complete T20 series sweep
Sports Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-08 11:29:28.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 13:21:53.0 BdST
A belligerent 41-ball 94 from Corey Anderson has propelled New Zealand to a 27-run win in the last T20I against Bangladesh, sealing a complete limited-overs rout with another 3-0 clean sweep.
Anderson and Kane Williamson (60) put up a brisk 124-run stand to power the Black Caps to a huge 194 for 4 after being asked to bat at the Bay Oval in Mt Maunganui on Sunday.
Bangladesh raced to 82-1 in the ninth over riding a rapid start from Tamim Iqbal (24) and Soumya Sarkar (42).
But the introduction of New Zealand leg-spinner Ish Sodhi (2-22) and other slow bowlers checked their progress.
Chasing the massive target, Bangladesh fell too far behind the asking rate, finishing on Bangladesh 167 for 6 with Shakib Al Hasan adding a fighting 33-ball 41.
The hosts had earlier been reduced to 41-3 in the seventh over after Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza won the toss.
Paceman Rubel Hossain (3-31) dismissed James Neesham for 15 and Colin Munro for a duck in the same over before Mosaddek Hossain struck with his first ball to send back Tom Bruce (5).
Captain Kane Williamson (60) then struck his second fifty of the series while left-hander Anderson provided the late flourish, blasting 10 sixes and two fours in his unbeaten knock.
The duo also brought up the Kiwi’s highest fourth-wicket stand in T20 internationals.
Anderson bludgeoned part-time medium-pacer Sarkar for a hat-trick of sixes over mid-wicket, his 10 sixes the highest by a New Zealander in the format.
Bangladesh stayed winless in their first overseas tour after two years as the T20 series whitewash follows a 3-0 sweep of the ODI series by New Zealand.
The teams will next play two Test matches starting on Thursday.
New Zealand: 194/4 in 20 overs (Williamson 60, Anderson 94*; Rubel 3/31, Mosaddek 1/27)
Bangladesh: 167/6 in 20 overs (Tamim 24, Soumya 42, Shakib 41; Santner 1/37, Boult 2/48, Sodhi 2/22, Williamson 1/9)
Result: New Zealand win by 27 runs.
Series: New Zealand win 3-0
Man-of-the-match: Corey Anderson
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- KKR skittle RCB out for IPL's lowest score to seal big win
- Shakib announced captain for Bangladesh T20 team
- West Indies recover from early setback against Pakistan
- Nasir keen to revive fortunes in Bangladesh team after Ireland tri-series recall
- Bangladesh call up Nasir for Ireland tour, not Champions Trophy
- Injured Starc, Lynn in Australia's Champions Trophy squad
- 'Universe boss' Gayle reaches 10000-run landmark in T20
- Spinner Maharaj gets first ODI call up
- Australia's pace attack could decide Ashes: Lee
- Afghanistan wicketkeeper Shahzad fails doping test
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- Initial tests reveal radiation in Sunamganj backswamps not alarming
- Death toll in Dinajpur rice mill boiler blast rises to nine
- Govt promotes 267 public servants to deputy secretaries
- Man burns himself in attempted suicide during altercation with 'girlfriend'
- Prohibitory orders in Brahmanbaria amid tension over minister's programme