Anderson blitz sinks Bangladesh as New Zealand complete T20 series sweep
Sports Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-08 11:29:28.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 13:21:53.0 BdST
A belligerent 41-ball 94 from Corey Anderson has propelled New Zealand to a 27-run win in the last T20I against Bangladesh, sealing a complete limited-overs rout with another 3-0 clean sweep.
Anderson and Kane Williamson (60) put up a brisk 124-run stand to power the Black Caps to a huge 194 for 4 after being asked to bat at the Bay Oval in Mt Maunganui on Sunday.
Bangladesh raced to 82-1 in the ninth over riding a rapid start from Tamim Iqbal (24) and Soumya Sarkar (42).
But the introduction of New Zealand leg-spinner Ish Sodhi (2-22) and other slow bowlers checked their progress.
Chasing the massive target, Bangladesh fell too far behind the asking rate, finishing on Bangladesh 167 for 6 with Shakib Al Hasan adding a fighting 33-ball 41.
The hosts had earlier been reduced to 41-3 in the seventh over after Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza won the toss.
Paceman Rubel Hossain (3-31) dismissed James Neesham for 15 and Colin Munro for a duck in the same over before Mosaddek Hossain struck with his first ball to send back Tom Bruce (5).
Captain Kane Williamson (60) then struck his second fifty of the series while left-hander Anderson provided the late flourish, blasting 10 sixes and two fours in his unbeaten knock.
The duo also brought up the Kiwi’s highest fourth-wicket stand in T20 internationals.
Anderson bludgeoned part-time medium-pacer Sarkar for a hat-trick of sixes over mid-wicket, his 10 sixes the highest by a New Zealander in the format.
Bangladesh stayed winless in their first overseas tour after two years as the T20 series whitewash follows a 3-0 sweep of the ODI series by New Zealand.
The teams will next play two Test matches starting on Thursday.
New Zealand: 194/4 in 20 overs (Williamson 60, Anderson 94*; Rubel 3/31, Mosaddek 1/27)
Bangladesh: 167/6 in 20 overs (Tamim 24, Soumya 42, Shakib 41; Santner 1/37, Boult 2/48, Sodhi 2/22, Williamson 1/9)
Result: New Zealand win by 27 runs.
Series: New Zealand win 3-0
Man-of-the-match: Corey Anderson
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Smith replaces Dhoni as Pune skipper, Starc pulls out of IPL
- Gunaratne inspires Sri Lanka to series victory over Australia
- Calm De Villiers leads South Africa to win over New Zealand
- Mustafizur ready for all formats, says BCB director Khaled Mahmud
- Imrul Kayes desperate to return for Bangladesh’s tour of Sri Lanka
- Australia's Wade confident back will withstand India Test
- Root determined to do things his way as England captain
- Miraz gets spin tips from India’s Ashwin for ‘long, successful’ career
- Australia's Voges ends Test career with second best batting average
- Smith foresees golden future if Australia win in India
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Humayun Ahmed's portrayal in Farooki's 'Doob' is objectionable, says Shaon
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday