Harris to coach Australia bowlers on South Africa tour
Published: 2016-09-02 20:51:27.0 BdST Updated: 2016-09-02 21:30:01.0 BdST
Former paceman Ryan Harris has taken a major step towards achieving his ambition of becoming Australia's permanent bowling coach after the 36-year-old was handed the role for the team's limited-overs tour of South Africa.
Harris, who retired from all forms of cricket last year, played 27 Tests, 21 one-day internationals and three Twenty20s for Australia.
He will join head coach Darren Lehmann and assistant coach David Saker on the tour starting on Sept. 27, where Australia will play a single one-dayer against Ireland and a five-match series against hosts South Africa.
"It's great experience to learn from David Saker and Darren Lehmann, I'm really just going to sit back and watch and learn," said Harris, who took 113 wickets in Tests and a further 44 in the 50-over format.
"Eventually, I'd like to work my way to the top and become a bowling coach of the Australian team one day. Just like playing, you have to earn your stripes and learn the ropes."
Lehmann welcomed the appointment of Harris, who is currently the assistant coach of Australia's national performance squad.
"I'm excited to have Ryan on board, a player and person of his calibre will no doubt offer strengths to our national side," Lehmann said in a statement.
"It's a win-win having two experienced coaches in Ryan and David Saker being able to nurture our young group, particularly the up and coming bowlers joining, and we expect a positive response both on and off the field."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Pakistan bowler Irfan suspended for a year over spot-fixing
- South Africa take New Zealand series after being saved by rain
- NZ take charge after Proteas batting collapse
- Rahul, Rahane guide India to 2-1 series win against Australia
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Rahul, Rahane guide India to 2-1 series win
- Buoyant Bangladesh primed to secure first ODI series against Sri Lanka
- India close in on win after Jadeja's allround brilliance
- Shoaib and Shadab lead Pakistan to opening win over Windies
- Williamson thwarts Proteas with record-equalling ton
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Bombs turned Atia Mahal into a death trap, says army after Operation Twilight
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- No cause for satisfaction over 'successes in a few anti-terror raids', says BNP chief Khaleda
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh