Harris to coach Australia bowlers on South Africa tour
Published: 2016-09-02 20:51:27.0 BdST Updated: 2016-09-02 21:30:01.0 BdST
Former paceman Ryan Harris has taken a major step towards achieving his ambition of becoming Australia's permanent bowling coach after the 36-year-old was handed the role for the team's limited-overs tour of South Africa.
Harris, who retired from all forms of cricket last year, played 27 Tests, 21 one-day internationals and three Twenty20s for Australia.
He will join head coach Darren Lehmann and assistant coach David Saker on the tour starting on Sept. 27, where Australia will play a single one-dayer against Ireland and a five-match series against hosts South Africa.
"It's great experience to learn from David Saker and Darren Lehmann, I'm really just going to sit back and watch and learn," said Harris, who took 113 wickets in Tests and a further 44 in the 50-over format.
"Eventually, I'd like to work my way to the top and become a bowling coach of the Australian team one day. Just like playing, you have to earn your stripes and learn the ropes."
Lehmann welcomed the appointment of Harris, who is currently the assistant coach of Australia's national performance squad.
"I'm excited to have Ryan on board, a player and person of his calibre will no doubt offer strengths to our national side," Lehmann said in a statement.
"It's a win-win having two experienced coaches in Ryan and David Saker being able to nurture our young group, particularly the up and coming bowlers joining, and we expect a positive response both on and off the field."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Rain washes out third day of Christchurch Test
- Sri Lanka back Mathews as captain until 2019 World Cup
- Miller fireworks leads South Africa to victory over Sri Lanka
- Shakib burst lifts Bangladesh before rain halts play in NZ
- Southee takes five as Bangladesh dismissed for 289
- Australia win third ODI as Smith, Handscomb punish sloppy Pakistan in Perth
- India pip England in Cuttack run-fest to clinch ODI series
- Muminul dropped from Christchurch Test, Mustafizur, Shanto included
- Bangladesh coach Hathurusingha tight-lipped on exclusion of pacer Rubel
- South Africa lose de Villiers for Bangladesh, England Tests
- Trump fans shocked by foreign-made 'Make America Great Again' caps
- Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny arrested in ICT case filed by woman
- UAE officials raid shops, slap fines for sending money to Bangladesh bypassing laws
- Bangladesh home minister's son demands hanging of 'atheist' on Facebook
- Two other missing Gaibandha politicians return safely
- RAB ‘framed, beat’ Germany-based Bangladeshi expat
- Nasrul Hamid says Al Gore’s Davos remarks on Rampal based on internet info
- Bangladesh closing down school that dubbed pro-Pakistan Monem Khan 'martyr'
- 300 schoolgirls get bicycles at Kachua
- Trump, in Oval Office, signs first order on Obamacare