Pro-Awami League panel sweeps Dhaka University Teachers Association elections
Dhaka University Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-08 19:01:14.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 04:17:03.0 BdST
The Awami League-backed panel has bagged all 15 executive committee positions at the Dhaka University Teachers Association (DUTA) elections.
The Blue Panel’s ASM Maksud Kamal and Rahmat Ullah were elected president and general secretary, respectively, at the election held on Thursday.
None of the candidates from the White Panel, backed by the BNP and Jamaat-e-Islami, could win any post.
At the last election, it got one of the executive members’ posts.
Left-leaning teachers, who broke away from the Awami League-leaning teachers last year, also took part in the election under the Pink Panel banner but failed to win any position.
They had the same result at the last elections. Polling continued from 10am to 2pm on Thursday, with 77 per cent of DUTA members casting their votes.
Election Commissioner and Chemistry Department teacher Tofayel Ahmed Chowdhury announced the results in the evening.
"Out of 1,950 voters, 1,502 cast their votes, which is 77 per cent", he said while announcing the names of the winners.
The new executive committee President: ASM Maksud Kamal of Disaster Management Department
Vice-President: Shibly Rubaitul Islam of Banking and Insurance Department
General Secretary: Rahmat Ullah of Law Department
Joint Secretary: Abu Zafar Md Shafiul Alam Bhuiyan of Television and Film Studies Department
Treasurer: Abdus Samad of Applied Mathematics Department
Members: Farid Uddin Ahmed, Imdadul Haque, Mahbuba Nasrin, Md Nizamul Haque Bhuiyan, Baitullah Quaderi, SM Abdur Rahman, Tazin Aziz Chowdhury, Md Aftab Ali Sheikh, Biman Chandra Barhua and Lafifa Jamal.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India invites applications for new courses
- RUET teachers start strike to protest student demonstrations
- Old friends from DU English Department return to campus
- Dhaka University English Department alumni reunion on Friday
- Pro-AL Blue Panel nominates alleged war criminal's brother Rafiqul for DU dean election
- DU pro-AL teachers object to reappointment of alleged war criminal's brother as dean
- Student found dead in Dhaka University residential hall
- Dhaka University teacher loses job for sexually harassing student
- SUST reopens after students block the VC’s office for 21 hours
- Poll materials taken to centres in Narayanganj City
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Bombs turned Atia Mahal into a death trap, says army after Operation Twilight
- Autopsy done on bodies of two militants killed in Sylhet
- Police get control of Sylhet’s 'Atia Mahal' as army ends 'Operation Twilight'
- Visitors barred at Dhaka airport terminals to beef up security ahead of IPU Assembly
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- No cause for satisfaction over 'successes in a few anti-terror raids', says BNP chief Khaleda
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Messi banned for four international matches