Jagannath University students intend to continue strike for two more days
JnU Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-08-22 15:50:29.0 BdST Updated: 2016-08-22 19:05:56.0 BdST
The students of Jagannath University (JnU), who have been on the streets demanding new residential halls, have now announced that they will continue their strike on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Following two days of abstention from classes and tests, they made the call after being barred by police from marching to the Prime Minister’s Office in Dhaka, where they planned to submit a memorandum containing their demands.
Earlier around 2pm on Monday, Rashedul Islam, Raisul Islam Nayan, and Safiqul Islam, on behalf of the protestors, made the announcement of an indefinite strike through a media statement.
Nayan had told bdnews24.com at the time, “In protest against the heinous attack by police, we will go for an indefinite strike from tomorrow, boycotting all classes and examinations.”
But an hour later, Nayan said the previous announcement was made by mistake, and the strike would continue for two more days –Tuesday and Wednesday.
Around 10am in the morning, police obstructed a procession of thousands of students at Bangshal intersection. The law enforcers then fired blank shots and lobbed teargas shells to disperse them.
The students claimed that police had wielded batons on them.
Then their demonstration in the capital’s Nayabazar intersection kept traffic blocked in the area, leading to severe gridlocks in the surrounding areas in the afternoon.
The students, however, returned to campus in Old Dhaka around 2:15pm, when normal traffic resumed.
The students earlier in the morning had locked the gates of all buildings in the university before taking out the procession.
The procession then made its way back to Nayabazar.
Nayan said an accounting department student of the 10th batch had been shot and was admitted to Sumona Hospital while many others were injured.
He said another economics department student named Mithun Roy had been injured and was later admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
The OCs of Kotwali and Bangshal polic stations could not be reached for their comments on the students’ allegations.
However, Kotwali zone Assistant Commissioner Shahen Shah admitted that police had lobbed teargas shells to disperse the protesters and bring the situation under control.
Last Wednesday, the students were barred by police while trying to lay a siege to the education ministry. They had abstained from classes and tests at the university on Thursday and Sunday.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India invites applications for new courses
- RUET teachers start strike to protest student demonstrations
- Old friends from DU English Department return to campus
- Dhaka University English Department alumni reunion on Friday
- Pro-AL Blue Panel nominates alleged war criminal's brother Rafiqul for DU dean election
- DU pro-AL teachers object to reappointment of alleged war criminal's brother as dean
- Student found dead in Dhaka University residential hall
- Dhaka University teacher loses job for sexually harassing student
- SUST reopens after students block the VC’s office for 21 hours
- Poll materials taken to centres in Narayanganj City
- Bangladesh Bank building catches fire
- Five dead, around 40 injured in UK parliament 'terrorist' attack
- Bangladesh formally joins 'India's South Asia Satellite' initiative
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee rules out removing Bangabandhu's bust
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’
- Bangladesh take Miraz in squad for Sri Lanka ODIs
- UK envoy attack: Death row convict Ripon to seek presidential clemency
- Investigators' statement on war crimes charges against Moosa unclear: Imran