PM names leather goods ‘Product of the Year’
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-01 13:21:01.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-01 15:10:13.0 BdST
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has declared leather products the national ‘Product of the Year’ at the opening ceremony of the Dhaka International Trade Fair.
“We ask all involved to take steps to provide all possible help and support possible to this industry,” she said.
The prime minister inaugurated the 22nd annual fair at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre on the first day of the new year on Sunday.
Businesses from 21 countries will participate in the fair, which is a joint programme organised by the Ministry of Commerce and the Export Promotion Bureau.
At the inaugural ceremony, the prime minister said that the leather exports had increased 71 times in the last 45 years. In FY2015-16, leather exports accounted for $1.16 billion.
“I am declaring leather, footwear and leather products as the national ‘Product of the Year’, so that we may be able to make full use of the opportunities afforded by this emerging industry,” she said.
A total of 577 stalls and pavilions in 13 categories will come up during the fair this year. 48 of these would be stalls set up by foreign business concerns.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- OPEC, non-OPEC producers meet to discuss compliance with oil cut deal
- Bangladesh will open new horizons for investment by 2020: Muhith
- Wall Street Week Ahead: S&P 500 CEOs optimistic over Trump
- Bangladesh may experience slow internet throughout January
- Uber raises fare price two months after Dhaka launch
- Japan should push back if Trump takes 'wrong' economic policies: PM Abe adviser
- Wall Street falls as investors ready for Trump's inauguration
- DSE director warns against borrowing money, selling property for stock investment
- EU leaders welcome Brexit clarity, Merkel says EU united ahead of talks
- iSoftStone plans Bangladesh office following China’s ‘One Belt, One Road’ initiative
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Two Indian soldiers killed in Assam
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny arrested in ICT case filed by woman
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- Awami League leader fires his shotgun, injures 20 in Kushtia
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice