PM names leather goods ‘Product of the Year’
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-01 13:21:01.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-01 15:10:13.0 BdST
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has declared leather products the national ‘Product of the Year’ at the opening ceremony of the Dhaka International Trade Fair.
“We ask all involved to take steps to provide all possible help and support possible to this industry,” she said.
The prime minister inaugurated the 22nd annual fair at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre on the first day of the new year on Sunday.
Businesses from 21 countries will participate in the fair, which is a joint programme organised by the Ministry of Commerce and the Export Promotion Bureau.
At the inaugural ceremony, the prime minister said that the leather exports had increased 71 times in the last 45 years. In FY2015-16, leather exports accounted for $1.16 billion.
“I am declaring leather, footwear and leather products as the national ‘Product of the Year’, so that we may be able to make full use of the opportunities afforded by this emerging industry,” she said.
A total of 577 stalls and pavilions in 13 categories will come up during the fair this year. 48 of these would be stalls set up by foreign business concerns.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- India-owned BHEL gets $1.5 billion order to build Rampal Power Plant
- China to invest $2 billion in Bangladesh construction materials sector
- IT firms call for higher limits on dollar purchases
- Four years into Rana Plaza tragedy, Netherlands finds Bangladesh RMG sector ‘safer’
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Rangs chief Rouf, HRC Chairman Sayeed cleared of 1996 share fraud
- Grameenphone earns Tk 6.6bn in net profit in the first quarter
- PRAN appoints cricketer Taskin Atom Gum brand ambassador
- Almost half of Rana Plaza survivors are still jobless: Report
- Finance Minister Muhith takes up GP's dropped calls to Telenor chief
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- Former British PM David Cameron coming to Dhaka
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- SSC results date announced
- ‘Improvised bomb’ found at Sylhet school
- Reports of North Korea artillery drill as US submarine makes South Korea port call
- Security forces raid Rajshahi homes
- Bangladesh life expectancy up: BBS
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- Emma Watson remembers Rana Plaza in tweet