Grameenphone starts 3G
Published: 2013-09-29 15:05:33.0 BdST Updated: 2013-09-29 17:02:26.0 BdST
Bangladesh’s largest mobile phone operator Grameenphone has started its third-generation (3G) services in some parts of the capital.
Post and Telecommunications Minister Sahara Khatun officially inaugurated its 3G services from Grameenphone’s headquarters GP House on Sunday.
Grameenphone by launching the services has begun a new chapter in the telecommunication sector, said the minister.
The minister hoped the rest of the country will soon be able to enjoy the 3G service.
“Grameenphone will have to ensure people all over the country will receive 3G services at reasonable rates.”
Grameenphone’s parent company Telenor group’s CEO Jon Fredrik Baksaas said users in Bangladesh can now enjoy new services due to this new technology.
Grameenphone CEO Vivek Sood said 3G will start in Dhaka and Chittagong within October and all the 68 districts will receive it within this year or at the start of the next year.
Grameenphone until July had 40 million users, according to data by regulatory body BTRC.
The country’s first 3G auction was held on Sept 8 where Grameenphone bought 10 MHz at $ 21 million a MHz.
Other operators Banglalink, Robi and Airtel bought 5MHz each at similar rates.
The four private operators have all received their 3G licenses after paying up the first installment of the auction rates.
Robi has already launched experimental 3G services in Dhaka and Chittagong.
The users of these four mobile operators will be able to receive the services if they switch their existing SIM cards to a 3G package.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- British American Tobacco vows to investigate use of child workers in its Bangladesh farms
- Sudden India visa bonanza blamed for plummeting Bangladesh Benarasi sales
- Denmark, ILO tie up for Bangladesh garment sector
- Tax at source for apparel exports at 0.7 percent in FY 2016-17, says finance minister
- Toyota recalling 1.43 million hybrids worldwide for air bag issue
- German envoy for quick resolution of ‘cargo problem’
- Bank branches in commercial areas to remain open on Jul 2, 3 and 4
- Bangladesh Bank directs all banks to ensure ATMs have cash through the Eid holidays
- Air Arabia rewards agents in Bangladesh
- Ericsson report says net connection growth in Bangladesh among top 10 globally
- Another Hindu priest hacked to death in Jhenaidah
- Bangladesh transport minister says Dhaka roads his cause of pain
- ACC arrests Agrani Bank deputy MD after MD gets fired over loan irregularities
- Kidnapped Sonu returns from Bangladesh, reunites with family after six years
- Police arrest 2 more suspects, including one of the killers, in SP Babul’s wife’s murder case
- ‘Mastermind’ of attack to murder Madaripur college teacher arrested in Dhaka
- Police trump RAB in crossfire deaths: Ain O Salish Kendra
- Save the Children appoints Ishtiaq Mannan new Deputy Country Director for Bangladesh
- Khaleda rejects Zafrullah’s call to leave Jamaat out of BNP-led alliance
- Bangladesh government is fretting about bank scams