Grameenphone starts 3G
Published: 2013-09-29 15:05:33.0 BdST Updated: 2013-09-29 17:02:26.0 BdST
Bangladesh’s largest mobile phone operator Grameenphone has started its third-generation (3G) services in some parts of the capital.
Post and Telecommunications Minister Sahara Khatun officially inaugurated its 3G services from Grameenphone’s headquarters GP House on Sunday.
Grameenphone by launching the services has begun a new chapter in the telecommunication sector, said the minister.
The minister hoped the rest of the country will soon be able to enjoy the 3G service.
“Grameenphone will have to ensure people all over the country will receive 3G services at reasonable rates.”
Grameenphone’s parent company Telenor group’s CEO Jon Fredrik Baksaas said users in Bangladesh can now enjoy new services due to this new technology.
Grameenphone CEO Vivek Sood said 3G will start in Dhaka and Chittagong within October and all the 68 districts will receive it within this year or at the start of the next year.
Grameenphone until July had 40 million users, according to data by regulatory body BTRC.
The country’s first 3G auction was held on Sept 8 where Grameenphone bought 10 MHz at $ 21 million a MHz.
Other operators Banglalink, Robi and Airtel bought 5MHz each at similar rates.
The four private operators have all received their 3G licenses after paying up the first installment of the auction rates.
Robi has already launched experimental 3G services in Dhaka and Chittagong.
The users of these four mobile operators will be able to receive the services if they switch their existing SIM cards to a 3G package.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure