Malaysia trade show next month
Published: 2013-04-27 15:39:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-27 15:40:26.0 BdST
The third Malaysia trade show will be held in Dhaka next month.
According to the Bangladesh-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, this year’s show – May 23 to May 25 – will focus on Malaysian healthcare and tourism.
The Chamber has been organising the show since 2008 in the two countries.
Its President Syed Nurul Islam at a press briefing on Saturday said when they organised it in Malaysia, they called it Bangladesh show.
He said about 40 Malaysian companies, including manufacturers, exporters, traders, educational institutions, service providers like telecommunication, banking, insurance, information technology and tourism, and healthcare will showcase their products and services in the fair styled ‘Showcase Malaysia 2013’.
“It’s a great opportunity to attract large number of businessmen, visitors and professionals,” he said. They expect 15,000 visitors to the exhibition this time round.
The two-way trade between the two countries exceeds $1 billion. But Bangladesh suffers huge trade deficit with imports hitting $1.38 billion and exports accounting for only $56 million in the last fiscal.
But at the same time, Malaysia is also one of the top destinations for Bangladesh’s manpower export, remittances of which grease the country’s economic wheels.
The Chamber believes Bangladesh is ‘more attractive’ for investment and businesses now than ever before for Malaysia.
“It’s (the show) a unique opportunity for the local businessmen to see the authentic products physically and interact with the Malaysian manufacturers or exporters directly at the exhibition,” the President said.
Malaysian High Commissioner Norlin Binti Othman at the press briefing said this showcase would serve as ‘a meeting place’ for businessmen of the two countries.
“It’s a starting point,” she said and that their cultural troops would come to enthral the visitors apart from businessmen in the fair.
Mobile operator Robi is the title sponsor while the Dana Group, Pubali Bank Ltd and the City Bank Limited are the co-sponsors of the showcase.
The second Malaysia show was held in 2012, four years after the inaugural show.
The first Bangladesh show was held in 2010 in Malaysia while the second one was organised two years later.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- OPEC, non-OPEC oil producers meet in Kuwait over output-cut compliance
- Bull market not dead as tax reform takes spotlight
- FBCCI president challenges HC order halting elections
- Trump tantrum looms on Wall Street if healthcare effort stalls
- High Court halts FBCCI elections for two months
- Asian stocks drop as fresh Trump jitters jolt risk sentiment
- Asian shares at 21-month high, dollar soft on less hawkish Fed
- Sonali Bank gets Bangladesh Bank nod to start PayPal services
- Oil drops on rising US drilling, steady OPEC supply
- Uber president Jeff Jones quits, deepening turmoil
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Police put on alert across country
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Sex in Thai city frustrates junta
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- RAB Intelligence chief being taken to Singapore for treatment