Malaysia trade show next month
Published: 2013-04-27 15:39:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-27 15:40:26.0 BdST
The third Malaysia trade show will be held in Dhaka next month.
According to the Bangladesh-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, this year’s show – May 23 to May 25 – will focus on Malaysian healthcare and tourism.
The Chamber has been organising the show since 2008 in the two countries.
Its President Syed Nurul Islam at a press briefing on Saturday said when they organised it in Malaysia, they called it Bangladesh show.
He said about 40 Malaysian companies, including manufacturers, exporters, traders, educational institutions, service providers like telecommunication, banking, insurance, information technology and tourism, and healthcare will showcase their products and services in the fair styled ‘Showcase Malaysia 2013’.
“It’s a great opportunity to attract large number of businessmen, visitors and professionals,” he said. They expect 15,000 visitors to the exhibition this time round.
The two-way trade between the two countries exceeds $1 billion. But Bangladesh suffers huge trade deficit with imports hitting $1.38 billion and exports accounting for only $56 million in the last fiscal.
But at the same time, Malaysia is also one of the top destinations for Bangladesh’s manpower export, remittances of which grease the country’s economic wheels.
The Chamber believes Bangladesh is ‘more attractive’ for investment and businesses now than ever before for Malaysia.
“It’s (the show) a unique opportunity for the local businessmen to see the authentic products physically and interact with the Malaysian manufacturers or exporters directly at the exhibition,” the President said.
Malaysian High Commissioner Norlin Binti Othman at the press briefing said this showcase would serve as ‘a meeting place’ for businessmen of the two countries.
“It’s a starting point,” she said and that their cultural troops would come to enthral the visitors apart from businessmen in the fair.
Mobile operator Robi is the title sponsor while the Dana Group, Pubali Bank Ltd and the City Bank Limited are the co-sponsors of the showcase.
The second Malaysia show was held in 2012, four years after the inaugural show.
The first Bangladesh show was held in 2010 in Malaysia while the second one was organised two years later.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Kraft walks away from 'friendly' bid for Unilever
- China wants ‘solid effort’ to address difficulties in doing business in Bangladesh
- First cargo ship from India arrives at Pangaon in Dhaka
- Kraft Heinz bids $143 billion for Unilever in global brand grab
- Striking meat traders to meet commerce minister, city corporation officials Sunday
- Samsung chief Lee arrested in corruption investigation
- High commissioner says Bangladesh now India's biggest trade partner in South Asia
- Newspapers aim to ride 'Trump Bump' to reach readers, advertisers
- 'Little hope' for textile industry revival in 'struggling' Nigeria
- Hong Kong police struggle to stop brokerage hacking spree
- Airport killing seen on CCTV, probe strains Malaysia-North Korea ties
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- Blogger Rajib murder: Absconding death row convict Rana arrested in Dhaka
- Humayun Ahmed's portrayal in Farooki's 'Doob' is objectionable, says Shaon
- Jagannath University suspends teacher for 'sexually harassing' student
- Ekushey Padak for 17 this year
- Assailants of Gaibandha MP Liton identified, IGP says
- Bangladesh information minister says impact of Indian TV channels on family life will be researched
- Bangladesh paying tribute to Language Movement martyrs
- Norwegian foreign minister arrives in Dhaka to pay homage to Language Martyrs