Malaysia trade show next month
Published: 2013-04-27 15:39:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-27 15:40:26.0 BdST
The third Malaysia trade show will be held in Dhaka next month.
According to the Bangladesh-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, this year’s show – May 23 to May 25 – will focus on Malaysian healthcare and tourism.
The Chamber has been organising the show since 2008 in the two countries.
Its President Syed Nurul Islam at a press briefing on Saturday said when they organised it in Malaysia, they called it Bangladesh show.
He said about 40 Malaysian companies, including manufacturers, exporters, traders, educational institutions, service providers like telecommunication, banking, insurance, information technology and tourism, and healthcare will showcase their products and services in the fair styled ‘Showcase Malaysia 2013’.
“It’s a great opportunity to attract large number of businessmen, visitors and professionals,” he said. They expect 15,000 visitors to the exhibition this time round.
The two-way trade between the two countries exceeds $1 billion. But Bangladesh suffers huge trade deficit with imports hitting $1.38 billion and exports accounting for only $56 million in the last fiscal.
But at the same time, Malaysia is also one of the top destinations for Bangladesh’s manpower export, remittances of which grease the country’s economic wheels.
The Chamber believes Bangladesh is ‘more attractive’ for investment and businesses now than ever before for Malaysia.
“It’s (the show) a unique opportunity for the local businessmen to see the authentic products physically and interact with the Malaysian manufacturers or exporters directly at the exhibition,” the President said.
Malaysian High Commissioner Norlin Binti Othman at the press briefing said this showcase would serve as ‘a meeting place’ for businessmen of the two countries.
“It’s a starting point,” she said and that their cultural troops would come to enthral the visitors apart from businessmen in the fair.
Mobile operator Robi is the title sponsor while the Dana Group, Pubali Bank Ltd and the City Bank Limited are the co-sponsors of the showcase.
The second Malaysia show was held in 2012, four years after the inaugural show.
The first Bangladesh show was held in 2010 in Malaysia while the second one was organised two years later.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Robi rakes in Tk 12 billion second quarter revenue, sees 5% growth
- NBR hits out at Jamuna Group with media statement detailing development works possible with dues
- China to provide Bangladesh 1000 firefighting motorcycles
- High Court gives Citycell a month’s lifeline to continue operations
- Trailer workers continue strike, disrupt work in Chittagong port
- Supreme Court stays verdict clearing Ashiyan City housing project
- Bangladesh’s EPB to join German textile exhibition
- Grameenphone gets '013' prefix for mobile-phone numbers on conditions
- Bangladeshis with long-term visas can open Indian bank accounts
- Petrol pumps threaten strike on Aug 28 over 12-point charter of demands
- 6.8 magnitude quake shakes Dhaka, other parts of Bangladesh
- Bangabandhu murder case's plaintiff AFM Mohitul Islam dies at 63
- Two ‘top terrorists’ killed in ‘shootout’ with RAB in Sirajganj
- Italy quake toll rises to nearly 250 as rescuers struggle to find survivors
- Two brothers found dead in Chittagong slum
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia for strengthening military cooperation
- Sacked army officer Zia masterminded publisher Dipan murder, police say quoting key suspect
- Odisha orders probe after man walks 10 km with wife's body
- John Kerry to focus on strengthening partnership with Bangladesh on Dhaka visit: State Department