Malaysia trade show next month
Published: 2013-04-27 15:39:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-27 15:40:26.0 BdST
The third Malaysia trade show will be held in Dhaka next month.
According to the Bangladesh-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, this year’s show – May 23 to May 25 – will focus on Malaysian healthcare and tourism.
The Chamber has been organising the show since 2008 in the two countries.
Its President Syed Nurul Islam at a press briefing on Saturday said when they organised it in Malaysia, they called it Bangladesh show.
He said about 40 Malaysian companies, including manufacturers, exporters, traders, educational institutions, service providers like telecommunication, banking, insurance, information technology and tourism, and healthcare will showcase their products and services in the fair styled ‘Showcase Malaysia 2013’.
“It’s a great opportunity to attract large number of businessmen, visitors and professionals,” he said. They expect 15,000 visitors to the exhibition this time round.
The two-way trade between the two countries exceeds $1 billion. But Bangladesh suffers huge trade deficit with imports hitting $1.38 billion and exports accounting for only $56 million in the last fiscal.
But at the same time, Malaysia is also one of the top destinations for Bangladesh’s manpower export, remittances of which grease the country’s economic wheels.
The Chamber believes Bangladesh is ‘more attractive’ for investment and businesses now than ever before for Malaysia.
“It’s (the show) a unique opportunity for the local businessmen to see the authentic products physically and interact with the Malaysian manufacturers or exporters directly at the exhibition,” the President said.
Malaysian High Commissioner Norlin Binti Othman at the press briefing said this showcase would serve as ‘a meeting place’ for businessmen of the two countries.
“It’s a starting point,” she said and that their cultural troops would come to enthral the visitors apart from businessmen in the fair.
Mobile operator Robi is the title sponsor while the Dana Group, Pubali Bank Ltd and the City Bank Limited are the co-sponsors of the showcase.
The second Malaysia show was held in 2012, four years after the inaugural show.
The first Bangladesh show was held in 2010 in Malaysia while the second one was organised two years later.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sugar prices soar in Bangladesh as glitches in mills dry up supplies
- Bangladesh, India merge South Asia’s biggest land port, ease movement
- ACC arrests ICB Islami Bank general manager over embezzlement of Tk 18.5 million
- Brands won't quit Bangladesh after attacks: Safety group Accord
- Gulshan eateries bear brunt of Holey Artisan terror attack
- Grameenphone profit, revenue, subscription soar in first half of fiscal
- Taiwan says foreign suspects arrested over $2 million ATM cyber robbery
- Hazaribagh tanneries’ penalty commuted as SC orders to pay Tk 10,000 a day for pollution
- Telenor Youth Forum focuses on peace this year, opens for entries in Bangladesh
- Terra Motors, Rahimafrooz venture will give confidence to Japanese investors in Bangladesh: Executives
- Police arrest four suspected female JMB activists in Sirajganj
- Gulshan cafe attack masterminds identified, says Dhaka metro police chief
- At least 61 dead, 207 wounded in Kabul demonstration attack
- Inu questions ‘silence’ over Jamaat, Shibir in public universities
- Supreme Court clears screening of Indian Bangla movie ‘Kelor Kirti’
- Drive dishonest officials out from security, intelligence forces: Ibrahim Khaled
- No wicket for Mustafizur as Sussex suffer defeat against Surrey in NatWest T20 Blast
- Nahid asks universities to find teachers recruiting militants
- Munich gunman raised locally, no ties to Islamic State
- Thai police charge 8-year-old girls for tearing voter lists off wall