Malaysia trade show next month
Published: 2013-04-27 15:39:43.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-27 15:40:26.0 BdST
The third Malaysia trade show will be held in Dhaka next month.
According to the Bangladesh-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry, this year’s show – May 23 to May 25 – will focus on Malaysian healthcare and tourism.
The Chamber has been organising the show since 2008 in the two countries.
Its President Syed Nurul Islam at a press briefing on Saturday said when they organised it in Malaysia, they called it Bangladesh show.
He said about 40 Malaysian companies, including manufacturers, exporters, traders, educational institutions, service providers like telecommunication, banking, insurance, information technology and tourism, and healthcare will showcase their products and services in the fair styled ‘Showcase Malaysia 2013’.
“It’s a great opportunity to attract large number of businessmen, visitors and professionals,” he said. They expect 15,000 visitors to the exhibition this time round.
The two-way trade between the two countries exceeds $1 billion. But Bangladesh suffers huge trade deficit with imports hitting $1.38 billion and exports accounting for only $56 million in the last fiscal.
But at the same time, Malaysia is also one of the top destinations for Bangladesh’s manpower export, remittances of which grease the country’s economic wheels.
The Chamber believes Bangladesh is ‘more attractive’ for investment and businesses now than ever before for Malaysia.
“It’s (the show) a unique opportunity for the local businessmen to see the authentic products physically and interact with the Malaysian manufacturers or exporters directly at the exhibition,” the President said.
Malaysian High Commissioner Norlin Binti Othman at the press briefing said this showcase would serve as ‘a meeting place’ for businessmen of the two countries.
“It’s a starting point,” she said and that their cultural troops would come to enthral the visitors apart from businessmen in the fair.
Mobile operator Robi is the title sponsor while the Dana Group, Pubali Bank Ltd and the City Bank Limited are the co-sponsors of the showcase.
The second Malaysia show was held in 2012, four years after the inaugural show.
The first Bangladesh show was held in 2010 in Malaysia while the second one was organised two years later.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- DSE director warns against borrowing money, selling property for stock investment
- EU leaders welcome Brexit clarity, Merkel says EU united ahead of talks
- iSoftStone plans Bangladesh office following China’s ‘One Belt, One Road’ initiative
- Bangladesh bringing new sensor technology to boost agriculture production with China’s help
- BAT agrees to buy Reynolds for $49 billion
- Finance industry's 'worst case' on Brexit spurs contingency plans
- Coca-Cola eyes to strengthen roots in Bangladesh with new plant launch
- As Bangladesh stock market soars, experts advise caution to investors
- Britain will leave EU single market, May says
- China unveils new plan to further open economy to foreign investment
- Bangladeshi gas station worker shot dead in Los Angeles
- Government splits home ministry in two divisions
- 'Brand Bangladesh’ on world stage in Davos World Economic Forum
- First freight train from China to Britain arrives in London
- Govt urges UAE to ease visa for Bangladesh nationals
- Bangladesh coach Hathurusingha tight-lipped on exclusion of pacer Rubel
- Bipu, Muhith take contradictory stand on fuel price cut
- Bangladesh ahead of India, Pakistan in inclusive development: WEF report
- Controversial candidate loses as pro-govt Blue Panel sweeps DU dean election
- Obama suggests US embassy shift to Jerusalem could be 'explosive'