More security sought for banks
Published: 2013-03-06 03:32:37.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-06 06:45:55.0 BdST
The Bangladesh Bank has sought more security for banks and financial institutions in a letter sent to the Home Ministry.
“Incidents of attack on branch offices of some banks and ATM booths at various places took place recently,” said central bank’s Deputy Governor SK Sur Chowdhury.
“We have a responsibility to ensure security of state-institutions like banks and other financial institutions. So, we have asked the home secretary to improve security there,” Sur told bdnews24.com.
Bangladesh Bank Governor Atiur Rahman had also earlier made a similar request to the Home Secretary over phone.
Some branches and ATM booths of the Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited were attacked during a countrywide anti-Islamist agitation demanding death penalty for 'war criminals'. Many feel the Islami Bank was targeted as it is linked to the Jamaat-e-Islami whose leaders are facing war crimes trial.
The Islami Bank, on Feb 20, in a letter to the Bangladesh Bank requested urgent measures to ensure security of its branches.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sugar prices soar in Bangladesh as glitches in mills dry up supplies
- Bangladesh, India merge South Asia’s biggest land port, ease movement
- ACC arrests ICB Islami Bank general manager over embezzlement of Tk 18.5 million
- Brands won't quit Bangladesh after attacks: Safety group Accord
- Gulshan eateries bear brunt of Holey Artisan terror attack
- Grameenphone profit, revenue, subscription soar in first half of fiscal
- Taiwan says foreign suspects arrested over $2 million ATM cyber robbery
- Hazaribagh tanneries’ penalty commuted as SC orders to pay Tk 10,000 a day for pollution
- Telenor Youth Forum focuses on peace this year, opens for entries in Bangladesh
- Terra Motors, Rahimafrooz venture will give confidence to Japanese investors in Bangladesh: Executives
- India arrests suspected Islamic State recruiter allegedly linked to Zakir Naik: Report
- Indian military transport plane missing in Bay of Bengal
- Mustafizur stars on county debut as Sussex prevail over Essex in NatWest T20 Blast
- Woman detained over Dhaka terror attack went to Dubai, has mental issues: Family
- 'Many killed' in Munich shopping mall 'shooting rampage'
- 10 killed in Munich shopping mall attack, police say likely sole shooter killed himself
- BNP chief Khaleda’s son Tarique ineligible to run for election after conviction
- Narsinghdi woman detained over Dhaka terror attack, police deny arrest
- A divided Republican party: Donald Trump or daughter Ivanka for president?
- Dhaka University sends professor on compulsory leave over alleged sexual abuse