More security sought for banks
Published: 2013-03-06 03:32:37.0 BdST Updated: 2013-03-06 06:45:55.0 BdST
The Bangladesh Bank has sought more security for banks and financial institutions in a letter sent to the Home Ministry.
“Incidents of attack on branch offices of some banks and ATM booths at various places took place recently,” said central bank’s Deputy Governor SK Sur Chowdhury.
“We have a responsibility to ensure security of state-institutions like banks and other financial institutions. So, we have asked the home secretary to improve security there,” Sur told bdnews24.com.
Bangladesh Bank Governor Atiur Rahman had also earlier made a similar request to the Home Secretary over phone.
Some branches and ATM booths of the Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited were attacked during a countrywide anti-Islamist agitation demanding death penalty for 'war criminals'. Many feel the Islami Bank was targeted as it is linked to the Jamaat-e-Islami whose leaders are facing war crimes trial.
The Islami Bank, on Feb 20, in a letter to the Bangladesh Bank requested urgent measures to ensure security of its branches.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- 40,000 undelivered containers choke Chittagong Port
- BlackBerry stops making smartphones, focus on software
- Oil prices retreat as investors wait for clarity on OPEC deal
- StanChart tells authorities about corruption allegations at Indonesian firm
- BTRC cracks down on illegally imported mobile phone sets
- MNP licence auction after intelligence reports on companies, Tarana says
- Ibrahim Khaled disappointed about government failure to reform SEC, demutualise bourses
- Palak assures of government help to creative IT ideas
- Prime Mover-Trailer strike adversely affects freight movement in Bangladesh port city
- PRAN UP becomes beverage brand of Bangladesh Cricket Board
- Indian military claims 'significant casualties' in raids in Pakistan Kashmir
- Afghanistan defy late Bangladesh fightback to earn last-over win
- Smart cards to reach 90 million Bangladeshis by December
- Top Indian economist advises Bangladesh government to prioritise local needs
- India says firing continues across frontier with Pakistan
- Two Pakistani soldiers killed in exchange of fire with India in disputed Kashmir
- Bogra college student stabbed to death on campus
- Bangladesh is at Zika virus infection risk, Health Minister Nasim says
- Interference in Bangladesh’s internal affairs prompted boycott of SAARC Summit in Pakistan: Shahriar Alam
- Former coast guard DG Shafiq-ur-Rahman arrested on graft charges