Police detain four ‘robbers’ after 'shootout' in Dhaka
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-17 13:06:15.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-17 13:06:15.0 BdST
The police have taken four suspected robbers in custody after a 'shootout' in Dhaka.
Acting on a tip-off, a team from the Detective Branch (DB) arrived at Khilgaon, Nandiparha to foil ‘robbing preparations’ of the suspects around 4am on Friday.
"They opened fire. Police then retaliated and chased down the four," DB police Deputy Commissioner Nurunnabi Khandakar told bdnews24.com.
DB was on the lookout for one of them, Khorshed Alam Sohel, 32, who was in prison several months ago.
"Four months ago, he secured bail in a case under the Arms Act," Khandaker said.
He is wanted in multiple cases of robbery and illegal arms possession, he added.
Having taken bullet wounds, Sohel was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
The others in custody were yet to be identified.
Police have seized firearms and ammunition from those detained, said the DC.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Cabinet mourns demise of music legend Lucky Akhand
- Two get life terms for rape and drug peddling in Chapai Nawabganj
- Bangladesh man dies when ‘shot' by Indian BSF
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains