Police detain four ‘robbers’ after 'shootout' in Dhaka
Staff Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-17 13:06:15.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-17 13:06:15.0 BdST
The police have taken four suspected robbers in custody after a 'shootout' in Dhaka.
Acting on a tip-off, a team from the Detective Branch (DB) arrived at Khilgaon, Nandiparha to foil ‘robbing preparations’ of the suspects around 4am on Friday.
"They opened fire. Police then retaliated and chased down the four," DB police Deputy Commissioner Nurunnabi Khandakar told bdnews24.com.
DB was on the lookout for one of them, Khorshed Alam Sohel, 32, who was in prison several months ago.
"Four months ago, he secured bail in a case under the Arms Act," Khandaker said.
He is wanted in multiple cases of robbery and illegal arms possession, he added.
Having taken bullet wounds, Sohel was admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
The others in custody were yet to be identified.
Police have seized firearms and ammunition from those detained, said the DC.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- EC secretary doubtful over using EVMs in general elections
- Police fire several dozen rubber bullets as SUST students clash with locals in Sylhet
- Bangladesh information minister says impact of Indian TV channels on family life will be researched
- Third part of graphic novel ‘Mujib’ released
- PM Hasina returns home from Munich
- Bangladesh information minister backs controversial Section 57 of ICT Act
- Court to deliver verdict on deaths of Tareque, Mishuk Feb 22
- Jhalakathi BCL leader held for ‘attempted grab of a house'
- Three victims of Barisal tanker explosion in critical conditions at DMCH
- Court hands death to man for murder in Manikganj
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi