Police detain two, including Shibir leader in Gaibandha MP Liton murder
Gaibandha Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-10 16:11:36.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-10 16:11:36.0 BdST
Police have detained two persons, including a Jamaat-e-Islami's student wing leader, for their suspected involvement in the murder of Gaibandha MP Manjurul Islam Liton.
The Awami League lawmaker from Sundarhanj Upazila was shot several times in his house on the evening of Dec 31. He later died at a Rangpur hospital.
Sundarganj police OC Atiar Rahman said that the two have been detained during raids late on Monday.
One of those detained is Gaibandha town Islami Chhatra Shibir unit President Abdullah Al Mamun. Police did not reveal the identity of the other person held.
Shibir is the student affiliate of Jamaat-e-Islami, the party which opposed Bangladesh's independence in 1971.
"The two are being interrogated," OC Rahman told bdnews24.com.
Eight persons, including a local Awami League leader and Jamaat leader, have been sent on remand so far in the murder case started by Liton's sister Tahmida Bulbul.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- CHTC demands judicial probe into Romel's death in letter to home minister
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- PM Hasina asks BNP for evidence of Haor radiation claim
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece