Juba League leader killed Lakshmipur
Published: 2014-03-31 10:12:24.0 BdST Updated: 2014-03-31 10:18:49.0 BdST
The local leader of a ruling Awami League affiliate body was shot dead in the Lakshmipur Sadar Upazila barely five hours before the local government election was to begin.
Police said Juba League leader Kabir Hossain was killed in front of the Durgapur Government Primary School in Bighuli Union around 3am on Monday.
He was the Juba League chief of the union’s Ward No. 6.
Awami League-endorsed chairman candidate AKM Salauddin Tipu accused the supporters of his opponent, BNP-backed Mahmudul Karim Dipu, of having committed the murder.
But Sadar police station OC Iqbal Hossain said they were not yet quite sure about who were behind the killing.
Voters in 73 Upazilas, including Lakshmipur Sadar, are voting in the fifth phase of the ongoing local government polls.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- CHTC demands judicial probe into Romel's death in letter to home minister
- Hasina slams critics of bid to remove statue from Supreme Court premises
- PM Hasina asks BNP for evidence of Haor radiation claim
- US ambassador remembers ‘selfless, inspirational’ LGBT activist Xulhaz on first death anniversary
- Life imprisonment means jail for rest of life: Full SC verdict published
- Bangladesh sees highest rainfall for 35 years recorded in April
- China's special envoy for Asia Guoxiang in Dhaka
- Ashraf Siddiquee Bitu made assistant press secretary to PM
- Cabinet asks ministries to step up relief efforts in flood-hit Haors
- BGMEA refutes ActionAid’s claim 42% Rana Plaza survivors are jobless
- Chevron announces sale of Bangladesh operations
- Messi's 500th Barcelona goal sinks Real Madrid in thriller
- Before heavy rains, fog-like clouds dazzle Dhaka
- Govt picks 285 colleges, 40 high schools for nationalisation
- Saudi Arabia restores perks to state employees, boosting markets
- Man beaten to death in front of Dhaka’s Sakura bar
- Body of Maldivian Raudha Athif exhumed for fresh autopsy
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Beware of dengue, chikungunya in intermittent rains
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors