Girl 'raped' in police station
Published: 2013-10-06 20:38:38.0 BdST Updated: 2013-10-06 21:25:47.0 BdST
Five police Constables have allegedly raped an adolescent girl in their custody at Gaibandha’s Govindaganj Police Station.
According to a case on a court order, the girl has been identified by police as a 17-year-old who hailed from Bhanga in Faridpur district. She is currently at safe custody in Gaibandha district jail.
According to Govindaganj Police Station’s OC Sheikh Delwar Hossain, locals tipped police about a girl in tears near Dhaka-Rangpur highway on Sep 28 evening.
A general diary was filed in this connection the next day.
“Police produced the girl before the Chief Magistrate Court at Govindaganj on Sep 30. The court ordered police to send her to Gaibandha district jail’s safe custody,” said OC Delwar.
“After taken to jail, the girl complained to the Jail Superintendent Shahidul Islam that she was raped while in police custody. However, she could not name the police officers involved.”
Jail Superintendent Islam said the girl’s health deteriorated after she informed him about the incident. Islam produced the girl before the Chief Magistrate Court once again and had her confession recorded.
The court ordered police on Oct 3 to consider the confessional statement as the First Information Report for taking necessary action to run a probe into allegation. The District Civil Surgeon was also ordered to give a report on the girl’s medical examination.
Police filed the case on Oct 4 following the order. The district police have formed a three-member probe body to look into the allegations.
Gaibandha Sadar Hospital’s Resident Medical Officer Hanif said a medical examination was done on the girl but refused to disclose the report citing ongoing probe.
Police said they were trying to have the police officers identified by the victim.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh ace Mustafizur named Emerging Player of IPL 2016
- Mustafizur's Hyderabad see off Bangalore fightback in thrilling final to claim first IPL title
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Awami League trashes Safadi-Joy meeting report, asks BBC Bangla to be careful
- Iran says its pilgrims will not attend Hajj in Saudi Arabia
- Gold prices drop by Tk 1,516 in Bangladesh after going up five times
- Mustafizur returns for Hyderabad in IPL final against Bangalore
- Sunrisers Hyderabad recruit Mustafizur Rahman in IPL draft
- BNP chief Khaleda charged in court in two more cases over 2015 blockade violence
- Five UN peacekeepers killed in Mali attack